1999 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC Auto to Manual swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC Auto to Manual swap

Jason Staggs

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Callsign
Corndog
To follow up with my recent spam of posts I've been considering this swap since I got my X. I would like to hear from others about what they did and the parts used and the budget and time frame and any complications they came across. I know I need a transmission pedal assembly master and slave clutch maybe a drive shaft diff and a new ecu (i saw a post where a guy did the swap and the engine would cut out where a shift would be then kick back in something about the ecu expecting or anticipating a shift) I just need to know what I should expect and any specifics I need to know or how to make it easier on myself work smarter not harder but if it all seems too difficult for me to do then I'll just get a buddy of mine to help or bring it to a shop and pay the labor fees and supply the parts Thanks and I can only hope for the best

I did the swap on mine. OHV not SOHC. I used new parts for slave cylinder and lines and used from the junkyard for everything else. I also converted to manual transfer at the time:

Lesson learned after the fact: Keep all the wiring. You can find a tutorial on here to wire it up so it thinks it is still there. Also see if the donor has the plugs for the wiring (Reverse)

I have an ECU to swap in, still have yet to do it. I am a mechanic by trade so for it it was a straight forward job. all the holes are there and I think it took me 3-4 hours to swap it and get it running. Also I left the transmission in park so no issues on shifting for me. (If I ever swap the ECU)

Back