Solved - 1999 Ranger 3.0 FF PCM pinout | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1999 Ranger 3.0 FF PCM pinout

Post number 4 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I have given up looking for a complete wiring harness schematic for the Ranger however if I could find a pinout chart for the 3.0 in my 1999 I would be able to do what I need to do. I found them for the 2.5 and the 4.0 but nothing for the 3.0. Would this be available in an old service manual? (No I don't have one). I would think a member here might would have an old service manual. By the way mine is 3.0 FF but plain 3.0 would probably work for me. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ask over at the ranger forums ?

I found one for a 94

something like this?
Sorry I was away for bit :)

this is a 2000 3.0 with flex fuel (same as 99)
I have converted a few of these trucks to v8
I have the complete wiring books downstairs, these images I just snagged online a while back

171_130906_590000000.png

171_130906_590000001.png

171_130906_590000002.png

Yes! @410Fortune That's ok on being away for a while. I'm aware about what is happening up and over your way. I've attempted to like different ones of your posts in your thread and I don't have a like button show up for me to do it.
Back to the PCM, I can now see the difference in the V-6 wiring and the 2500. I want to eventually separate the Engine management harness and the Body harness but last weekend after studying it good, I see that the V-6 engine is going to have to be removed first. It's a very good engine and transmission that could end up in a Pinto, Mustang II, 1984 Ranger, etc after it is no longer needed in the Ranger and removed to make room for the 5.0 GT engine. Thanks and thanks @donalds too.
Headed to work, Y'all have a good one.

the old 3.0 if running well the engine and trans are worth good $$$$
Lots of 3.0 ranger dudes out there in need of a good running used engine and trans, 3.0 always sell quickly and fetch good prices

Thanks Jamie. I saved all 3 images and print will go in my master notebook. I've seen that chart for other years and engines but I have never read them line for line, until this chart. If there was a sensor or part that I didn't now what it was or where it was located then I looked it up on rockauto or other info. A very OBD2 awakening for me. Only a little have I worked on the old OBD1 stuff. I see where all of this will be necessary to understand to install and use another type of powertrain management system. As you well know a rebuilt 5.0 and all of the electronics gets in to the thousands to do it up right. I think that I can drive the old Ranger with the 3.0 for a few 10 of thousands of miles while a save up for the conversion.

Yes yes it does
I try to keep costs down as much as possible by DIY, even building my own driveshafts and exhaust these days
I am also planning to finally setup my own gears and lockers.
I have a transmission builder, and I access to some machine shops nearby if needed, although we typically either re seal a low mile 5.0 or just buy a crate long block

I was looking at different long and short block prices. Machine shops around here have gotten so high that the 'ready' long blocks are really affordable.

I can say crate engines are fun

something like this?
Sorry I was away for bit :)

this is a 2000 3.0 with flex fuel (same as 99)
I have converted a few of these trucks to v8
I have the complete wiring books downstairs, these images I just snagged online a while back

View attachment 330388

View attachment 330389
View attachment 330390
I’m currently swapping a 1999 ranger, that had a 3.0 with a 5 speed and 4x4. I’m using a carb and dizzy 302 with a m05 trans. just wondering if you’d know what wires off the pcm I’d need just for interior things to work, like stereo and gauges as well as head/taillights. Tia

@Rangerrylan If you look at post #4 in this thread ang go line by line down the list, it tells you what each wire does from or to the PCM. There is also a box under the dash called the GEM module. It does several other things.

@Rangerrylan Here is a link to a page somewhere here on this forum for a '97 Explorer. It is real similar to '98 to '03 Ranger. You can read down the list of wires to see what each does.
Link to GEM wiring

Back