2.3l performance mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3l performance mods

sokr915

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ranger 4x2
hi im new to ford rangers and i just bought a 1995 ranger 2.3l 4x2 and it is very slow, what are some cheap ways to get more power or better mpg? i dont want a turbo or supercharger tho.
thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in my opinion the best bang for the buck is going to be rear gears, put a nice 3.73 or 4.10 in the rear along with a posi or limited slip unit and you should be set

how hard would a swap be if i could find a junker with a rearend with 3.73s?
thanks

...welcome here....:D

...i'm on the way out but click on the squirrel in my signature...i'll look you up when i get back...;)

u can get a rear from a 4.0l it will be a 8.8 . then you will have to buy a 3.73 or 4.10 gear an a traction loc. you can find a gear set out of a 95+ explorer for a used gear set.
i have a ranger 2wd with a 8.8 an a 4.10 an traction loc an it works well on the highway an i seldom have to down shift to pass now.the only difference between the 2 gear sets is 200 rpm.
you can also get a k&n replacement filter an the exhaust should be replaced 2 1/2 is about as large as youll want to go up to.

Hi! I am new to the Ford Ranger as well. It's a bit too slow I have the 2004 2.3L. I am currently dropping the truck about 4 to 5 inches. Is there any aftermerket kit for this engine to give it a little kick?

Back