2 axles..swap gears?

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 4.10 ratio open diff axle in my Sport right now, and I have a 3.73 limited slip axle in my donor mountaineer for the V8 swap. It has been suggested to me that I should be running 4.10's with the V8 for good acceleration, but I want the capabilities of a limited slip differential so I can get more power to the ground. One option/question I have thought of is:

Can I put my 4.10 gears in the limited slip axle? I am really hoping that this will work.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what LS carrier you get. Some have size limits and other can go up to 5.13s. Where are you getting them from?

I already have the axles. I am just wondering if I can take the 4.10 gears out of the open diff axle and put them in the limited slip axle that I have. This would be the most cost efficient option for me.

Yes you can as long as they are the same spline.

It would be easier and cheaper to just swap the whole axles themselves.

RangerX said:
It would be easier and cheaper to just swap the whole axles themselves.

But then I would be running a 3.73 ratio LS. What I want to do here is make a 4.10 LS axle using the 4.10 gears out of my 4.10 open diff axle in my sport.

I am praying that they are the same spline.

I thought all Explorer/Mountaineer axles were 31 spline?

All are 31 spline, only rangers are 28 spline. Don't bother swapping in the stock limited slip, it is pretty much worthless imho. It doesn't work very well and wears out quickly. If you want limited slip do yourself a favor and spend the money on a good quality aftermarket unit.

I am on a tight budget here, and I understand what you are saying, but I just can't justify spending $400 on a powertrax no-slip right now. I just know that I am going to have poor traction with that V8 when I have an open diff. I am sure that the stock LS does something (and something is better that nothing). Would it be possible for me to change the gears myself? What special tools would i need?

I dont' want to be an ass...but if you dont' know what tools you need you probably can't do it (i asked the question before and got the same answer don't worry lol). Yes it's doable and no, it's not rocket science but it does take alittle knowhow. I'm doing mine myself but i have tools and help from those in my offroad club who know how to do it.

Anyway the basic tools are:
Pinion Depth gauge
Magnetic Base
Dial Indicator
Torque wrench
Marking paint (not sure what the technical name is)

If your doing it you also want to invest in a master install kit so you have all the new bearing seals etc.

No, really, the stock limited slip pretty much does nothing. The clutches wear out fast and before you know it your truck is one wheel peeler. Also like CP said you have to setup the gears yourself, if you haven't done it before I wouldnt reccommend it, it's not an easy task. When setting up gears you're dealing with measurements in the thousandths of an inch (.001") If you're off by more than .002 or .003 on anything you'll eat up your gears and bearings and be out of more money. A good limited slip is like 300 bucks and a master install kit is about 80. Save your money and do that you'll be much happier in the long run.

Well, It sounds that doing gears might be a little too much for me to handle, then again I am swapping in a V8 and have never done anything of the sort before.

I will just save for a LS unit and hopefully get one next year some time. Until then, I will just have to rotate my rear tires often from the single wheel spin I face right now, and will really face once i have a V8 under the hood.

hehe or weld the spiders!

Not a good idear for a street driven truck

just change out the spiders for the limited leave the gears alone

wattsgame said:
just change out the spiders for the limited leave the gears alone
you cant do this because the LS clutches have ears that go into part of the case thats cut out, you could put the open spider gears in the LS though but that would be worthless.

to answer your question , yes you could just put the 4.10 gears on the LS carrier, to make it eaiser, even though you should use new bearings and set it up properly, you dont HAVE to, just use all the bearings off the 3.73 pinion(since you wont have to change the carrier bearings) just make sure you dont damage the pinion bearings when taking them off and putting them on, make sure you put all the shims back where tey came, that means mark them well, ill probibly take you 1-3 hoursif you have the right tools. but yes you can do it for free

if you want to do this, id use the carrier shims from the 4.10 axle. Reason being 4.10 is going to be a thicker gear then 3.73, But not by much.

Swapping gears is probably harder then doing an engine swap. I dunno, never done an engine swap. But im sure if you knew what you had to do, exactly what you had to do before you had to do it, that it could be done.

now im going off the fact that the shims in the stock differential are ONE nice Peice. So bascially ford makes these things to be bolt-in at the factory; All the stock shims are closely the same size

try this... Measure the length of BOTH carriers (TO THE HUNDREDTH OF AN INCH! so you cant use a regular ruler, you need something special) and see if there is a difference between the two. Like a .005 of an inch is a difference.

if they are different in length then you can forget it... you need to research how to do it or get it done perfessionally, swap the axles or SOMEthing

If they are the same in length, then you can probably get away with using the shims from the 4.10 axle, to line up the LSD (3.73) carrier correctly

The Pinion (shims/bearings) from the 4.10 should be fine, assuming the center line of the axle tubes relative to the pinion bore is the same on both axles, in other words aslong as the pinion depth doesnt change.

You WILL need to research setting pinion bearing preload so you can install the pinion correctly.

i dont know if my method would work, since the housings can possibly be a different in size ever so slightly. Ive never tried it like this.

Wow, this sounds complicated. Right now, I have found a potential buyer for the axle, so this project is pending right now. I really need the money for he swap, so it might just be best if I save up for a high quality LS unit down the road.

I hear you. You are probably doing the right thing in the long run. If it were me, in our trucks, I would prefer the open 4.10 over a LS 3.73---I could always add a good LS later like you say. I don't think your tires will be hurt any as long as you don't peel out too many times with that V8. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah just go with the 4.10 open

The clutches in the L/S are probably shot anyway. Besides later you can just throw a aussie in there for less then 250 bucks. Lockers in the rear are no big deal aslong as it doesnt snow/ice alot where you live.

Back