2" Drop Pitman Arm

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
My truck has a 2" lift utilizing stock axle pivot brackets. Obviously the steering doesn't sit level. With so many pitman arms out there designed for 4" of lift, which really only provide 2" of drop, it would be easy for me to swap in one of these and level out the steering. BUT, would that really reduce bump steer? Wouldn't that increase bump steer, since the stock steering should be inline with the stock axle pivot brackets as is? :rolleyes: Am I over thinking this or am I onto something?

I doubt it would make much of a noticeable difference overall... Typically a dropped arm is only used if you change the height of the beam pivots.

Having lifted it 2" with stock brackets, the beams themselves are also no longer level, which partially cancels out some of the effects of the steering not being level.
The tierods (linkage) ideally should be inline with the beams at ride height (directly in front of a straight line from the beam pivot to it's attachment point on the knuckle), which may not necessarily be perfectly horizontal with the ground. A 1" drop arm would likely put the linkage back perfectly inline with the beams on your 2" lift, though I'm not aware such an arm exists. A typical 2" drop arm would put you the same distance on the opposite side of ideal.

This page has some diagrams that might be able to shed a little light on how the steering linkage geometry works on these things.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

Back