• Register Today It's free!

20 inch rims.. Question

Just a quick question about a good tire size, for some after-market rims for my 97 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I'm interested in putting some 20's on the Explorer, but I don't want any rubbing issues. What would be a good size tire that would still put some space between my rims and the road? I'm also interested in how wide the tires should be.. Maybe a 265-275/45-50/20? All feedback appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

275/45/20

they are too wide up front, but they are enough cheaper that it is worth running them

we have the kumhos on the escape

you have aim? i seem to be answering a lot of your questions and that might be easier? not sure why others aren't helping out more...

wattsupcustoms ----my aim name

Attachments

• escjuly6.jpg
    escjuly6.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 10,508

thanks!

sometimes i wish i didn't know the answers to some of these things- too many of them represent money i've wasted.

what i particularly like is the growing number of these types of questions i can now answer while also "citing/referencing" a picture or two from my private collection.

i wish there were a lot more people on this forum who kept up with answering 'street' type questions-

lol.. Yea, you have answered all my questions posted in this forum. They should upgrade you to moderator or something lol. You think a 255/45 tire on a 20 inch rim would keep the wheels from rubbing the fender? I almost got a wheel package with 255/35/20 tires, but after thinking about it I backed out. The lowest I'll go is a 40 series tire, and I prefer the 45. The 45 series has a low enough profile and still has that sporty look to it. Anyhow thanks again 50.

lol.. Yea, you have answered all my questions posted in this forum. They should upgrade you to moderator or something lol. You think a 255/45 tire on a 20 inch rim would keep the wheels from rubbing the fender? I almost got a wheel package with 255/35/20 tires, but after thinking about it I backed out. The lowest I'll go is a 40 series tire, and I prefer the 45. The 45 series has a low enough profile and still has that sporty look to it. Anyhow thanks again 50.

255/35 would have been very low profile. I think a 275/40 would be nice, but I don't know about rubbing on a 97.

i run 255/35/18 and 265/35/20 on my explorer-

i can't post a picture here from work- but yes, they are very very low profile. I wouldn't go shorter than 45 series or so on 20s unless i were bagged.

I won't be moderator because most of the current moderators think i'm a pompous, self righteous, ****y, *******.

So a 265/45/20 tire would work without rubbing in either direction? That's an uncommon size, so they probably charge more for the 265 vs the 275 right? So the widest I can go without rubbing would probably be a 265/45 or 255/45 on an 20 inch rim...

You have been nothing but resourceful, since I've been a member.

I'm running 275/45/20's and I've done some minor triming and the only time I get rubbing is when I hit big bumps going fast. More of a problem on my part than the tires. Other than that I'd buy another set the same size.

I'm running 275/45/20's and I've done some minor triming and the only time I get rubbing is when I hit big bumps going fast. More of a problem on my part than the tires. Other than that I'd buy another set the same size.

I'm just real **** when it comes to rubbing. I'd rather run with a tire that isn't as wide, and be rub/worry free. Thanks for the information though.

rubbing shouldn't be too bad at all with the 275s- the main issue is that they really like to chase every bump or ridge in the road. it can get very annoying.

ideally, imo you wouldn't want to go over 255 up front

i really liked the ride/handling when i was on 255/55/18 up front and 285/50/18 rear.

Yea, I'll probably go 255/45 all the way around. I wasn't too sure about staggering with 4wd vehicles. I just heard some negative things about having staggered set-ups on 4wd SUVs, but I haven't asked any wheel/tire techs about it to confirm it. I'll probably have some 20's mounted soon, and looks like I'm going to have them mounted with a 255/45 tire.

that's a tough decision to make-

make sure you've looked at some pictures of them on the 255s from the rear before you go that route.

i worry about emasculating my vehicles by running "narrow" tires

that's a tough decision to make-

make sure you've looked at some pictures of them on the 255s from the rear before you go that route.

i worry about emasculating my vehicles by running "narrow" tires

Yea I will have to take that into consideration.. 275/45 is a common tire size for Explorers, I've found during research. I may have them mount both sizes to the Explorer and see how it sits on either size tire. I think that will actually be the only way to satisfy my curiosity.

Dub Big Homie
Panther Juice 5
Helo Hawk

Those are some of the rims I've been admiring.

Asanit AF118 and AF114 are the ones I've been seeing in my dreams though. lol

would a 20" tire rub on a lowered ex

totally depends on the tire size and how lowered

with a "static drop" of 2-3" like most people run with a '96 (what i would recommend unless you bag the truck) you can run a stock height 20" tire or a bit taller even (the 275/45/20 or 255/45/20s etc. would all fit just fine)

you have to get pretty low before it matters

I'm running Goodyear Eagles P275/45R20 and although my 2000 Explorer XLT is fairly new to me I have yet to notice a rubbing. They look great and drive out well. I will try to post pics soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing to consider. Wider tires and bigger wheels adds weight. Your acceleration will suffer.

Although your truck will look damn good while you crawl to highway speed. :D

Back
Top Bottom