2000 Explorer - Auto Trans Shifter - No Longer Close to Steering Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer - Auto Trans Shifter - No Longer Close to Steering Wheel

Jon R.

Reaction score
City, State
fAIRFAX, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
My automatic transmission shift lever on my 2000 Explorer works perfectly, easily goes into any gear, lines up correctly, the spring mechanism works as it always has providing tension between gears and requires me to gently pull the lever to shift, and otherwise give me no issues, other than when its in the resting position (in any gear, including Park) the handle is no longer equidistant between the dash and steering wheel. It's now significantly closer to the dash, less than 1.5 inches from the dash. I really have to reach for it. See photos of where it rests now and where it should rest (or always had) when I hold it in the correct position.

How the shifter sits now -
dateposted-public

Where it should be -
dateposted-public

A couple days after, while driving, the "shift lever pin", a small headless pin hit my foot. It's about 1.5" long. I found a new pin online and it shows the pin with a head on it, while mine doesn't have a head, so I assume the head broke off and that's why it fell out.

My Pin --
dateposted-public

New Pin --
dateposted-public

After removing the plastic steering column covers, and loo0king around for 20 minutes, I couldn't determine where it goes in the shift column. I didn't see any obvious holes. Any ideas?

Many thanks!!

Back