2000 explorer head gasket question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer head gasket question

james8026

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
ok I have a 2000 explorer xls 4.0 ohv (not sohc) and I have to replace the passenger side head gasket and im wondering a couple things about this job so here goes . do I need to remove the exhaust manifold from the head or can I raise the head up enough to clean the surface and replace the gasket and the reason I ask is because my exhaust bolts as most do are rusted out and would be hell to remove and can I only do the side that is bad? the drivers side shows no signs of a leak and the truck never got overheated the passenger head sprays oil right from the side of the motor and its too high up to be the block so its either the gasket or the head itself but Ive heard these are notorious for blowing gaskets so that's what im assuming. any helpful hints would be much appreciated. thanks

I have always been told to do both sides, as when you do the one bad side your other side is sure to follow. Because it is the weakest link. As to exhaust manifold from the head I would say yes, I know it would be easier but you risk messing up the gasket. Even if you didn't you'll most likely tweek the bolts anyways. Just my 2cents. Good luck.

Back