2000 Mountaineer Grill/Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mountaineer Grill/Headlights

deloacda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury MountIneer
I am trying to get better headlights than the plain stock ones. Problem is that 1998-2001 Mountaineers changed the headlight size from the Explorer 1995-2001 size. There are plenty of choices for the 1997 Mountaineer and 1995-2001 Explorer, but none that I can find for the 1998-2001 Mountaineer. 1) does any one know where I can get better looking headlights or 2) Can I fit a Explorer HEADER PANEL and grill on the Mountaineer, or some type of variant so I can put the Explorer headlights on my Mountaineer. 3) Will the Explorer headlights bolt in place as is (I can modify the Mountaineer grill to make it fit). Meaning do the screw holes line up the same on the Mountaineer lights as the Explorer lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure about where to get mountaineer headlights. but this swap has been done plenty of times. if u scroll down the page you can find this thread here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369188

use the search function at the top of the page for more topics as well. i think theres some write up :)

The shape of the entire header panel is different.

When you say better headlights, do you mean the acrylic casings, or the bulbs?

If you mean the housings, just put an Ex header panel and grab a 1996/7 Mounty Grille if you want to maintain heritage, or any Explorer grille if you don't care about that...

I mean the whole headlight. The 98_01 mountaineer have a completely different grill and headlight shape. when I say headlight I mean the whole headlight assembly, not just the bulb. by better I mean appearance. the after market ones for the 95_01 explorer are very stylish. I don't care about performance. if you'd like I can send a link to them. I noticed in the link you sent it was in reference to putting the 98-01 mountaineer lights on an explorer. The aftermarket headlight assemblies for the explorer blow away the factory mountaineer ones. Again I could not find any replacement headlight assemblies for the 98-01 mountaineer except for the factory OEM ones. I searched everywhere I could find and no luck. The factory ones were all I could find.

by better I mean appearance. the after market ones for the 95_01 explorer are very stylish. I don't care about performance.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We're all quite familiar with the aftermarket setups for hte Ex.

You have 2 options:

1.) Replace the header panel, grille, and use Explorer lamps
2.) Deal with the Mounty headlights

that's all you have.

That's kind of what I figured but needed the confirmation that the explorer header would fit. thank you for the responses.

Just one more thing will the 1997 mountaineer header panel fit? It would seem that if I can use a 96/97 mountaineer grill assembly (as someone had posted prior) I could also use the 1997 mountaineer header panel. So actually my net question would be when they said I could use a 97 grill did they mean just the insert or the whole assembly. Through a search online I found both grill insert and the whole grill assembly for the 1997 mountaineer.
If your wondering why I'm even asking its because all references were to the explorer header and nine to the mountaineer. This lead me to believe there my be an issue with the fitting of the mountaineer header or grill assembly(meaning one, the other or both). Also maybe no one has tried the 97 mounty header with the 2000 mounty.

Just retrofit some morimoto mini projectors into your mountaineer headlights. You will spend roughly the same as you would swapping over to explorer headlights and buying junk aftermarket headlights. PLUS, you will have decent quality HID projectors and all quality components.

Dead Link Removed

270 bucks... Heck, that is how much it costs to get a grill, header panel and aftermarket explorer projectors. AND IT WILL LOOK A BAZILLIONTY TIMES BETTER.

Back