2001 Eddie Bauer 5.0 Swap Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Eddie Bauer 5.0 Swap Question

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So I have a 2001 Explorer 4.0 4WD Eddie Bauer, it's a 4.0 SOHC with a blown head gasket, and I have a 1999 Explorer 5.0 2WD XLT that's a wreck, I want to use the XLT and swap the 5.0 drivetrain into my Eddie Bauer, I don't care about the 4WD, I do want to know basically, will it work as is? Will I need the Eddie Bauer V8 harnesses and PCM with the PATS system?

*Edit, selling the Eddie Bauer isn't what I want to do, the truck is sorta a pride and joy to me, I'm 18 and worked hard for it, and even though I have a 5.0 already I can't bring myself to fix and sell the Eddie Bauer as a 4.0, 5.0 is what I am going to do I just want to know how*

Since you have both trucks should be easy as it gets, barring having exact year matches. You will want the computers and harnesses from the v8. Should be a super reliable swap, especially with the 2 wheel drive.

Ditto, that's a straight forward swap. Only the 4WD will be a thought, to disassemble the V8 trans to obtain and put the 4WD output shaft and rear cover in it, or swap the front spindle to 2WD parts. Have fun, it'll be great if the donor truck was good and complete.

It is complete, it's my own personal wreck, and I've sold NOTHING off of it, thanks for the input, I thought it was but I wanted to be sure before I dug into it, I have everything off my 99 from front to rear bumpers still minus some odd and end pieces that are universal.

Back