034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya I might keep the leafs. I still need longer shackles so the leafs will flatten out more.

Buy me a new camera, no one else *****es about my camera phone, ***!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks great! You should paint the whole truck that green that's on the axles. :thumbsup:

Nice. Chevy lowering shackles will bolt right in to the ranger hanger. Thats what I am using. That flex is pretty nice. Now hurry up and get some fenders on that thing. And get a real camera, the one on the phone sucks :D There someone else besides supergildo complaned :D j/k

RangerX said:
Looks great! You should paint the whole truck that green that's on the axles. :thumbsup:

Ya it would look good, but I think your a little biased on the subject lol.

Rockranger, don't talk about my camera phone. Show me a digital camera that you can play games on and talk to other people on ha. :p

well i gotta know how the turning is with 4 wheel and the spool and hydro assist after your wheeling adventure....

RockRanger said:
And get a real camera, the one on the phone sucks :D There someone else besides supergildo complaned :D j/k
YES!!!!!

034x4 said:
Rockranger, don't talk about my camera phone. Show me a digital camera that you can play games on and talk to other people on ha.

my Ipod play games and it shows ALL of my pics...

+ music, + videos...

but does it take pics?

JS91X said:
well i gotta know how the turning is with 4 wheel and the spool and hydro assist after your wheeling adventure....

When I was messing around in the back yard with the hubs locked in 4-lo iht had no problem turning. The front end did push a little but thats expected with a spool and detroit. The hydro assist made it easy to turn. About the same effort it takes to turn it on the street. Even on the concrete slab it wasn't very hard to turn it.

Just a quick update to a pretty much finished swap.

Put on my new exhaust manifold (thanks zainyd) and my new rear diff cover (thanks jasonb).

Welded in 1/2" grade 8 bolt for the ultimate seal strength lol. (this manifold has EGR, mine does not so I had to plug that shiat).

b266d54d.jpg

Nice crack.

82d58203.jpg

Do you like beefy pumpkins?

cd7a61cc.jpg

d5343b57.jpg

1de6374a.jpg

how is your hydro assist set up because that is a option for me but i need to see if it is street legal

too many people are looking at your pictures, and now no one gets to see them.

on a side note, my front bearing hub(pasenger) just went out today, but mine didnt explode like yours. I on the other had didnt happen to have a d44 laying around :( so i had to replace rusty crap IFS with remanufactured/brand new crap IFS.

Hydro assist is street legal because there is still a mechanical link b/t the steering wheel and the axle.

It's a "new style" 'yota IFS box drilled and tapped with a PSC 8" travel ram mounted on top of the chunk and on the tierod.

lol Aric, sorry to hear that. Maybe next time you'll have a d44 laying around.

034x4 said:
It's a "new style" 'yota IFS box drilled and tapped with a PSC 8" travel ram mounted on top of the chunk and on the tierod.
interesting!! pics would be nice ;)

oh yum!

thanks that really will help me decide how i want to go about mine

how did you change your pinion angle? by grinding the welds off the "c's"? the reason I ask is I have an 86 waggy d44 & a 98 ranger

my last ? thx

Well all you have to do to change the pinion angle is set the angle of the spring perches.

I corrected the caster angle that was a by product of the pinion angle being changed by turning the knuckles. Grind the welds off, beat the knuckles to the desired angle then re-weld. They are cast so you have to weld them differently.

so basically your saying that when you changed you pinion angle you had to turn the inner Cs so the knuckles are flat...right

Back