2001 Explorer Sport body mounts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport body mounts

I've used the Prothane brand body mount bushing kit with excellent results at a very reasonable price. Made a huge difference in ride, control and comfort over my non-existent OE body mount bushings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny you bumped this....I'm getting some clunking now. When turning, going over some bumps, taking off from a stop. It's more of a light knock. Seems to be front drivers side. Is this an indication of the bolts coming loose?
The ball joints were already replaced, the shocks & the brakes. It just started 2 weeks ago. It's not consistent. It just does it goes away & then does it again.

It's very important to torque the body mount bolts (and then re-torque than after a 1000 miles or so). They have have to be quite tight and the bushing fight you pretty well. IIRC the rad support bolts are 41 Ft Pounds and the others are 59 Ft Pounds.

Your clunking might mean you bushing bolts aren't tight enough, or it might be that your front sway bar end-links are loose or broken.

If a polyurethane body mount kit was used, Daystar and Prothane recommend re-tightening after 500-1000 miles. Polyurethane DOES slightly compress and retain memory over time. From koda's excellent "New Toy" thread regarding
loose radiator support "A" mounts:
I hear a little clunking while driving over my bumpy 1/4 mile driveway.
Sounded like it was coming from the front, so maybe I should tighten the "A" bolts more.

New Toy

Turned out to be a loose bolt on the upper control arm from the ball joint replacement.

Turned out to be a loose bolt on the upper control arm from the ball joint replacement.
Great to hear. A LOT easier than replacing the front radiator support body mounts. UCA nuts have the tendency to loosen, especially if not torqued to the 98-111 ft/lb. torque spec with the suspension loaded and tires on the ground. See link below.

Alignment printout help

I Have just completed replacing the #2 ,3 & 5 Position (counting front to back) body mounts on my2001 Explorer Sport. Not an easy job. I used Dorman p/n 924059 & 924060. Do not use these parts. They are made in India. The bottom threaded part on 2 of them had no threads and 2 of them had the threads cut on an angle. I managed to re-use the original Ford threaded parts which were far superior. Buy them from Ford or a USA manufacturer.

Just replaced mine today ..its easier to do on the ground. We extracted the bottom of all 8 to begin with. Some broke loose no problem but a few you may have to use a pair of vice grips or whatever tool you might have to hold the bottom while someone breaks them loose from top and extracted them from the top. I found it easier just to remove the front seats. Easaier to peel carpet back .Also we had a heavy duty air impact driver. Once we got the bottoms all removed we jacked up the body from the center and was able to get all the top mounts out between the frame and body. Then we reinserted the top mounts with bolts started. Then done the same on the other side before tighting anything down ..Then we started in the front and worked our way around going down one side at a time.
I had nothing left except for the bottom pieces in the front and back. My tires wore funny and it would rattle your feelings out of your teeth. Now it handles and drives unbelievable compared to before ..well worth the work. I ordered my parts from Amazon 156 dollars and gave my friend a certified mechanic 140 dollars.

Back