2001 Mountaineer replacement radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mountaineer replacement radio

green28

Reaction score
City, State
NW IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
So the radio in the Mountaineer seems to have a common issue now that I've been searching on here. Backlights used to work but go in and out, but lately nothing lights up on the display. Rather than try and fix it I think I'll just get an aftermarket setup.

So it has the 6 disc changer in the arm rest and steering wheel controls. Are those two things easy to get setup on an aftermarket setup? I was looking at a bluetooth receiver and front usb setup with no cd player, but it the 6 disc isn't easy to get hooked up I'll just buy a traditional cd receiver and forget about the 6 disc. Kind of an audio noob so just looking to see what others have done.

Personally, I've been over CDs for years now. Partly because the 6 disc in my rig hasn't worked for over ten years. I was running a MP3 adapter for a good while, but the next thing to get on my nerves was the telephone (Android), the speakerphone was just too weak to be of any use unless the truck was parked.

So I ordered a JVC digital media reciever with Pandora & BlueTooth. Features include: hands-free, USB front & rear, 1/8" aux on the front, AM/FM, MP3, WMA, microphone, and a keyfob remote.

Kind of updates the old rig.

Actually the JVC KD-X250BT is what I was looking at, sounds like the same thing you ordered. I don't need steering wheel controls, as that looks a bit pricey. But now wondering if the 6 disc will work with aftermarket easily, because I really like the JVC digital media setup.

I really have no idea if the 6 disc changer will even work with an aftermarket HU, but Crutchfield would know and could help you out.

Back