2002 4.6 4x4 with codes P0735 and P0775 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.6 4x4 with codes P0735 and P0775

r6bikerdave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6 Limited
Wife was driving last week and the o/d light started flashing and also said check transmission or something similar on the instrument cluster. She was out of town but only a few miles from her parent's house so she left the car there and borrowed an extra car of theirs. Today we came down to check out the car and brought a scanner(genesis) from my work. Scanned for codes and got the P0735 incorrect gear 5 ratio and P0775 pressure control solenoid B. Driving it around the lights are no longer on, but there is a noticable but not extreme hesitation to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Seems to shift into overdrive just fine. I used the genesis while driving to confirm it had shifted into 5th gear. The explorer has always had a slow shift from 1st to 2nd but is noticeably worse now. It has 184k miles, have owned it since 160k. Fluid was in awesome shape when I dropped the pan and refilled with tube adapter shortly after buying, so I do not suspect any issue with fluid condition or level. I am thinking the overdrive servo is the problem and want to use the replacement servos with an o-ring added. Seen here @ http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/index.html I would also be adjusting bands afterwards.

Not knowing if there has been any previous rebuild on the transmission or not.....will these replacement servos work if the trans case has already been sleeved?? I assume yes they will work but just want some confirmation that I'm heading in the right direction with doing the servos. The other common issue I have read about is the solenoid block but have seen mixed results and a higher parts cost.

Any help or input would be awesome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after driving the explorer back home last night (75 miles) there is a slower shift into 5th gear so I am feeling confident that this will be the right repair. Any recommendations on accessories to get along with the replacement servos? such as cap o-rings, return springs, snap rings....etc. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Did you have any luck? I'm dealing with the same issues.

Yes. I replaced both servos, and everything is working great! Shifts better than it ever has in the last 25k miles since I have owned it. Bought it @ 160k, has 185k now.....runs like a champ

Back