• Register Today It's free!

2002 Air Bag coded 42

sealyons

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 & '02 Eddie B.
my '02 explorer air bag light is flashing a code 42. I have seen many posts for the side impact sensor, but mine does not have the side aribags. Is this code also for the sensor near the radiator? If/ so, where is it located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! A lot of air bag related codes are caused by the connector under the seat. Clean this connector. WWW.VeryUseful.Com has more information on codes. This is what their website says: 42 LH Radiator Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open.

There are already a few topics on this one. I've been replying to them as i changed out this sensor. It is located in the center of your lower grille. It is under the long horizintal plastic trim.

The airbag code lied in my situation. Ended up being a fault in the instrument cluster, requiring replacement of the entire cluster. May save a few headaches for you down the road. Good Luck.

I went to do this fix this morning and the sensor is broken in 2 pieces.
This is my problem, the battery is disconected and I am afraid to reconnect it for fear of blowing the air bag. Now if I think this through I tell myself it should be OK as it looks like the sensor didn't work anyway as it is all coroded and crappy, but I don't need to replace air bags and a windshield too.
Please help, will it be OK to get put the battery back and run like this (no sensor) for about 1 week?????

Got the solution.
In my head I knew that under the seat the sensor could be unplugged so why can't the front one be unplugged?
Still afraid though so called my brother who called a friend who works for chevy dealer, he said it des a system test everytime you start your car, no sensor will throw a code and disable the airbag system.
I crossed my fingers hooked up the battery (no boom) got in and sat as far back from steering wheel as possible and started it. Still no boom.
Still throwing code 42 but sensor is not installed.
Put some tape over plug and will fix this Saturday with actuator.
Thank you to all, with piecing together all the posts on airbags I figured it was safe to hook battery up.

Back