2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33

Hey Guys I went in my SUV played wit the yellow plug wire cant unplug cant figure out how to remove it...So I jiggled the wire the light went off this is on passenger side tho?
As soon as I moved the seat back the light came back on any ideas???
I played wit drivers side to no difference

But it blinks 3 then 3

Here is the TSB, originally posted by swetrid:

Ford has a tsb for this problem. Here it is, it is basically just a new wiring assy.
Printable View (9 KB)
TSB
03-11-3 ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) B2292

Publication Date: May 20, 2003

FORD: 2002-2003 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault), OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.

ACTION:
Install pretensioner kit for affected side(s) by build date/color. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Obtain correct Service Kit and refer to instruction sheet included with kit for installation instructions.

2002 Model Year Through 3/3/02 Build Dates

Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-AAA
Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-AAB
Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-AAC
2002/2003 Model Years 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-BAA
Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-BAB
Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC

PART NUMBER PART NAME
1L2Z-78610E22-AAA Pretentioner Service Kit - Medium Dark Parchment - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-AAB Pretentioner Service Kit - Midnight Black - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-AAC Pretentioner Service Kit - Dark Graphite - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-BAA Pretentioner Service Kit - Medium Dark Parchment - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03
1L2Z-78610E22-BAB Pretentioner Service Kit - Midnight Black - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03
1L2Z-78610E22-BAC Pretentioner Service Kit - Dark Graphite - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
031103A Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit One Front Seat (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation/Reactivation) 1.3 Hrs.
031103B Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit Both Front Seats (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation/Reactivation) 1.6 Hrs.
031103C Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit One Front Seat (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation And Reactivation - With Canopy Air Bag) 1.5 Hrs.
031103D Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit Both Front Seats (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation And Reactivation - With Canopy Air Bag) 1.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7861202 X2

OASIS CODES:
104000, 203200, 206000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company

As you can see, LFC 33 is the driver side. Make sure you pay really close attention when you count the light flashes.

I do recall it being a PITA to disconnect the connectors!

When I fixed mine, I just removed my drivers seat, 4 bolts, and unplugged & plugged the connectors back in and it seems to be holding. Sometimes the light comes back on after I move the seat for cleaning. Since I am the only one that drives it, the seat doesn't get moved that often.

I ultimately fixed my problem (LFC 33, driver seatbelt pretensioner) by taping the wires going to the seatbelt pretensioner so they wouldn't bend and kink when moving the seat. You might want to try this. :dunno:

Hopefully you can get it sorted!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you very much bro tomorrow I got my buddy coming by to give me a hand and see if we can fix it once and for all such a pain in the ass you know my seat is never moved or anything....

Can you snap me a picture on how you did it like the tape procedure I'm going to for sure tomorrow do this

I just taped it to the adjacent wiring. It's too late to get one tonight. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Thanks bro I appreciate it. Ill let you know how it goes for me tomorrow

You're welcome. Good luck to you sir!!

Hey BigRondo!

My buddy helped me clean the connector underneath both seats re-seated it

ISSUE RESOLVED

Thank you a million!

I have the 3-3 code. There are 4 connectors under the drivers seat, which color connector is the pre-tensioner please ?

Thanks

I have the 3-3 code. There are 4 connectors under the drivers seat, which color connector is the pre-tensioner please ?

Thanks

Your profile says you have a '97. This thread is about 3rd Gen's. I have no idea what color the connector is in a '97. :dunno:

Follow the wires to the part you plug your seat belt into. That's the correct connector.

I'm not much for fighting, but I could punch myself in the face !! My stupid airbag light has been on for some time now... Well I tried bypassing the wires under the driver seat, NEVER thought to look under the passenger seat.... Unbelievable !

Bypassed the connector under the passenger seat , BAM ! Light is off.

Good grief ! This just goes to show to READ, and then READ AGAIN !

Back