2002 Escape Dealer service problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Escape Dealer service problem

CADDYBILL

Reaction score
City, State
Broad Channel Queens NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EDDIE BAUER/ sold
My sister just bought an 02 Escape with the 6 cylinder. In neutral if you blip the throttle to about 3 grand it stumbles. It sound like an exhaust leak and a misfire combined. The only reason I tried this was because it seamed to run rough under a WOT run.
Now for the problem. She brought it to the dealer today for that and some other things and they laughed at her and said that the engine is programmed that if you raise the rpm’s in neutral the engine will sound like its going to die. When she told me I was like WTF?!?!? But I don’t know everything so I figured I’d ask. Does this make sense?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick reply. :thumbsup:
At what rpm does it kick in? And does it do it in drive as well?

yeah its so teenagers who rent those kind of cars from rental places dont rev them up to 6000rpm and then drop them into gear :) (dont ask me how i know this :) )

I think the limit is 3k. Although none of our vehicles have it, I've heard of it.

Back