2002 Explorer: Is there a automatic headlight turn off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer: Is there a automatic headlight turn off?

beertracker

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
2002 Explorer: Is there a automatic headlight turn off? You leave the headlights on, turn off the engine and exit the vehicle. Will the headlights turn off after a pre-time? I remember a headlight ON warming chime but not a turn off feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a windshield rearview mirror with a slider on it? That autolamps feature will turn the lights off after X seconds depending on the position of the slider. IF yo have that, then you would use that to turn them on, not the dash switch, Edit: Except that CallMeSyd has a dash switch that seems to incorporate this, so the feature may have moved from the rearview mirror to the dash at some point.

Do you have a windshield rearview mirror with a slider on it? That autolamps feature will turn the lights off after X seconds depending on the position of the slider. You use that to turn them on, not the dash switch.
My rearview mirror does not have a slider on it.

This is the automatic headlight setting. If your switch does not have this, you do not have automatic headlights. I'm not sure if they will turn off on their own otherwise. If they do, it may take hours before it kicks in.
s-l400.jpg

Back