2002 ford explorer xlt shifts hard into 2nd gear and od light flashing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer xlt shifts hard into 2nd gear and od light flashing

You don't need to go that deep, but the video explains why you get the P0775 code when the servo fails. You can fix it without pulling the transmission from the vehicle. See the first link I posted above to show you how to do that.

I'm just trying to point out the problem you most likely have, but I see you don't want to consider it. I'm out.
sorry i didnt mean to sound ungreatfull or appreciative of your knowledge.you obviously know more than me about the internals of transmissions.just really seems electrical not mechanical to me.guess ill stop wasting peoples time and take it to aamco

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure why it throws that one, but mine did. I also had the flashing OD light and the constant dropping out of overdrive under light load.
@plasticseng
How can you be sure that the dropping out of overdrive was just that? Torque Converter Clutch disengaging leads many to believe they are no longer in 5th. gear.

If suspected drop out of 5th gear is in effect, depress gas pedal lightly, watch tach. If rpms do not jump up, the TCC is engaged.,

@thomas libby
It would be the 5R55W transmission. The code indicating "Solenoid Circuit Malfunction" indicates there may be a problem in the wiring which feeds the "B" solenoid. Replacing the solenoid won't fix that. To pinpoint location of an electrical malfunction would require starting at the PCM and tracing continuity in the harness from the PCM connector to the transmission case connector. Occasionally the harness wiring is affected by careless work allowing it to be close to exhaust heat. Most likely, I think, would be connections at the transmission case connector. If you feel it will help you, I will scan and post the wiring schematic for that connector. However, my diagrams are for 2004, and no guarantee of complete accuracy for a 2002, wire colors change sometimes. Physical location of the connections should be the same.

JK080 could help us here, in case I'm way off track. imp
thanks imp,im going with your suspicions about an issue with wiring somewhere and will be dropping it off at a local shop to check that for me today.the thread i started got alittle off track from what i am experiencing,other than shifting alittle hard from 1st to 2nd gear(all other shifts smooth as silk,no droping out of overdrive)and the 775 code coming in after od light flashing for awhile,the truck runs,drives really nice.ive had the pan off and never found and debris or anything to lead me to think the trannys having a mechanical issue.the filter and fluids have been changed as well as installing a brand new complete solinoid control block.has to be wiring bad somewhere external to tranny.

Found issue.......well after everyone trying to help on here with advice and info over my head on trannys,i found the problem with my od light flashing and showing soliniod b malfunction code.As i expected after changing fluids and not finding any kinda debris and installing a new soliniod block not fixing problem i checked all wiring.the issue was a bad terminal on the plug that goes into tranny to solinoid block,replaced harness plug and all codes and issues went away.shifts great.thanks for all the help on here but others without a clue like me should make sure you have checked all the simple stuff first before coming on here and gettn flustered and beleiving tranny shot when it may be just bad wirirng.i wonder how many people scrapd thier ride because of wiring bad or paid people thousands to rebuild tranny when it didnt need it.ouchy as i almost went that route myself.

Found issue.......well after everyone trying to help on here with advice and info over my head on trannys,i found the problem with my od light flashing and showing soliniod b malfunction code.As i expected after changing fluids and not finding any kinda debris and installing a new soliniod block not fixing problem i checked all wiring.the issue was a bad terminal on the plug that goes into tranny to solinoid block,replaced harness plug and all codes and issues went away.shifts great.thanks for all the help on here but others without a clue like me should make sure you have checked all the simple stuff first before coming on here and gettn flustered and beleiving tranny shot when it may be just bad wirirng.i wonder how many people scrapd thier ride because of wiring bad or paid people thousands to rebuild tranny when it didnt need it.ouchy as i almost went that route myself.
@thomas libby
This sort of problem is detectable by use of the more sophisticated analyzer machines such as dealers employ. Those of us not having such access must weed through the many possibilities when wiring fails, using archaic tools like ohmmeters and voltmeters. Still, the codes often prove to be dead "giveaways". Glad you got her! imp

I'm glad that's what it turned out to be. I thought there was a good chance you were experiencing the beginning of the dreaded worn servo bore. I hope you get 100,000 more out of it.

Back