2002 XLS horn stuck on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLS horn stuck on

cj1972

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Got a 2002 Explorer XLS yesterday for my daughter. I was told that the horn was stuck on and I decided to take it anyway to avoid dealer labor rates. The horn will stay on (with fuse #6 or #18 installed) and the cruise control does not work. I also noticed that the lights do not flash when the fob is used to lock it. I unplugged the horn/cruise control wires under steering wheel and the horn will still stay on with the wires unplugged. So, I do not think it is the clock spring. (I have no warning lights on.) I have checked other threads but I did not find another situation just like mine. Relay problem? PATS problem? Any help will be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would certainly do a run up on the horn relay. Would help narrow it down at the least.

I'm not certain the lights even flash when remote locking. Could someone else speak to that?

The Vehicle Security Module can turn the horns on and it is also in charge of corner light blinking.
The horns are used by the VSM for burglar alarm and tire sensor chirping.
I think you have two problems.
The cruise control usually fails because of a brake pressure sensor or a brake pedal detector going bad.

The Vehicle Security Module can turn the horns on and it is also in charge of corner light blinking.
The horns are used by the VSM for burglar alarm and tire sensor chirping.
I think you have two problems.
The cruise control usually fails because of a brake pressure sensor or a brake pedal detector going bad.
Yes, I'm not sure yet if the VSM is the whole problem but I will continue troubleshooting from there. I could hear a clicking/chattering noise with the Explorer parked in the garage. It would do it with the engine off and didn't matter if it was locked or unlocked. I can't touch it again until next week because of my work schedule. Thanks for the tip!
Does anyone know where I can find the pin out of this module?
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 2WD automatic.

Yes, I'm not sure yet if the VSM is the whole problem but I will continue troubleshooting from there. I could hear a clicking/chattering noise with the Explorer parked in the garage. It would do it with the engine off and didn't matter if it was locked or unlocked. I can't touch it again until next week because of my work schedule. Thanks for the tip!
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 2WD automatic.
Oh I forgot. I got enough acces to the module to verify that is where the noise is coming from. I could feel it when I heard the noise.

i would try the relay for the horn before anything. could be stuck and would most likely be the culprit. If it was stuck and your anti theft system keeps trying to set itself. but the horn/siren wont allow it to set. you can switch #47 and #48 temporally to check if that is the issue. or put #48 in the #47 spot put your fuse back you removed earlier. if the horn does not sound replace the relay... # 48 is you fuel pump so you may want to put them back till you get a new relay... hope this works

Keep us posted on your results ..good luck

You are looking for section 117 of the wiring diagram book. The wire to the horn relay is on P117-4

YE/LB pin 6

Keep us posted on your results ..good luck
Thanks for the response. I have learned that mine is an "early" 2002 model. Relay #47 is for Daytime Running Lights (that I don't have) on the early ones. I have unplugged the C3008b connector (with the "horn switch input") from the security module and this will turn off the horn. I also had the plug under the steering wheel to the horn and cruise unplugged at the same time. Looks like my problem is somewhere between the steering column and the VSM.

UPDATE:
I have found the problem. The YE/LG wire was worn through and grounding itself behind the right kick panel and glovebox area. The horn(s) sounds great to me but my neighbors may not think so right now. Thanks to all of you that responded.

I'm beginning to wonder how many "rub spots" are in this car.:eek:
The fact that it has half a dozen microprocessors and a dozen useless electronic frills and do-dads is not helped by the number of, "worn through" wires I've read about.:(

According to the owner's manual, the exterior lights should flash when locking the vehicle. Can someone confirm this? Could the previous owner have deactivated this function? (2002 Explorer XLS) The diagram I have shows pin 14 of plug C3008a at the VSM should power the exterior lights. I put everything back together without checking the lights. No BIG deal but I want it to work.
I had removed the front left fender liner to access the horn. While putting the liner back on, I noticed that I have joined the club of Explorer owners with crumbling body mounts. I guess I will check the VSM when I tackle this job. (Since the interior will mostly be removed anyway, it should be a good time to do this.)

Back