2002 XLT 4-Door aftermarket speaker advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT 4-Door aftermarket speaker advice

jsour

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB 4.6 V8
Hi,

I just purchased a 2002 XLT 4-Door that has the factory AM/FM/Cassette/Single CD radio installed
with the (4) speakers in the front and rear doors.

I think that the audio sound is disappointing at best.

I don't want to invest a lot of money in a new sound system at this point. So I thought that I
would start by replacing the factory speakers with a set of aftermarket speakers.

I'm looking at putting a pair Pioneer A6867 6x8" 3-way speakers in the front doors and a pair of Pioneer A6857 2-way speakers in the back doors.

Questions:

Should I just put (4) A6867 3-ways in both front and back doors? I have read in posts that the front doors are the most important. The cost difference is minimal, so the cost is not an issue.

Is there a better choice of speaker brand for the price range that I should be considering? The Pioneers A6867 3-ways are around $75.00 pair

Thank You for the help!
Joby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the pioneers are pretty good. a lot of people like them. i dont really, because they lack midbass response. but my 5.25" component set covers that.
you should go to a car audio shop and listen to see if you like them. other brands in that price range are kenwood, polk, blaupunkt, audiobahn, etc...

Speakers

Hi Joby,

>>Should I just put (4) A6867 3-ways in both front and back doors? I have read in posts that the front doors are the most important. The cost difference is minimal, so the cost is not an issue.

The front speakers are far more important than the rears but if cost really isn't as issue I say put the better speakers in front and back. That is what I did when I replaced mine.

>>Is there a better choice of speaker brand for the price range that I should be considering? The Pioneers A6867 3-ways are around $75.00 pair

I think you should go and listen to some different speakers to make up your mind as to what you like. Personally I like the Infinity Kappas and I got their 5 X 7s. I also got a good deal on them and that helped as well.

I also looked at Clarion, Pioneer(could never find the top ones to hear), and Audiobahn(sp?).

If you really want the best sound you would probably need to get components. They will probably be way above your price target though.

Take a couple of your own CDs and hear down to a couple of local stereo shops and give a listen to some speakers. That is the best way to pick them.

Glenn

Hmmm? Odd? I purchased my 2002 XLS about a month ago and the STOCK single cd/cassette/am/fm is definitly better than any of my friends stock ford systems (compared to 2001 ranger, 2000 explorer, 1996 explorer)

>>I'm looking at putting a pair Pioneer A6867 6x8" 3-way speakers in the front doors and a pair of Pioneer A6857 2-way speakers in the back doors.

I replaced a set of the 6857's in my Cougar with the 6867's, and the midrange really makes a big difference....I'd definitely recommend the 3-way's...the difference from the rear speakers will be subtle, but I think you *will* notice it.

In my '01 Sport, I have the Pioneer 6x8 plate speakers up front (TS-P682, but now discontinued I think), and they sound even better....I used a pair of the old 6857's for the rear in that application, and you can hear a huge difference if you switch between the front and rear speakers...

BTW, maybe you can help me...My wife recently leased a 2002 Explorer and we have the 6CD changer w/sub in that truck....I want to put in the stock Ford plate speakers in the rear (they came from the front of my Sport which has the same setup), because they don't really sound that bad, and it's free :)....Do the door panels in the 2002 come off pretty much the same way as the older Explorers?

Thanks!

Hi,

I just wanted to thak everyone for their advice.

I went with the Infinity Kappa 572.5cf 5x7's in
both my front and rear doors.

They are a big improvement over the stock speakers.

Stormchaser, I emailed you directly regarding the door panel removal. If you still have questions email. Both front and rear panels come off very easy.

Thanks,
Joby

Mind forwarding that email on the door panels?

Here's the door panel removal steps-

The door panels come off very easy.

The front panel has two screws at the very bottom and one screw behind the trim piece that has the window and door lock switches.

The only difference with the rear door panel is there is only one screw at the bottom of the door panel, along with the screw behind the trim piece that has the window and door lock switches.

Start by taking off the piece of trim that the inside door handle sticks out of, if you pull on the door handle you can get your finger in behind the trim piece "in the front", pull from the front, there is a couple of metal clips that will release the trim piece. Make sure NOT to pull straight out at the rear of the trim piece, there is two plastic tabs that slip in behind the door panel that you will break off if you pull at the rear of the trim piece. Once the front pops out,
slide the trim piece forward and off.

Once the door handle trim piece is off, lift up and out(towards you) on the front of the door switch trim piece and that will pop off.

Now you can remove all the screws, don't forget you have one behind where the door switch trim piece came off.

Once the screws are out, just lift up on the door panel and out towards you and you got it!

The door panel is held on by plastic "L" shaped tabs, so when you lift up and out the "L" shaped tab is released.

Once you have done one door it's a breeze!

Good Luck!

rockford fosgate vs. kicker speakers!tryna figure out wich has the best bass

You bumped a post from 2002.. It's 11 years old..

Neither are for Bass. A subwoofer is for bass. Door speakers will NEVER give you bass. They are mid/high range speakers.

well you know how theres a lil thump to speakers i want some thump

Get some cheapy Pioneers. Anything that goes below 50hz will give you some thump.
But in all honesty, you'll never get any real thump from the doors.

BUT, you could increase bass in doors by sealing off all the holes with sound proofing. Just sealing those holes greatly improves speaker quality.

thanks sir! illl try that ive been looking for quality for the money. so im thinking bout kicker ks68. if anybody has input on these ill be glad to kno. pluss the thing is my factory kinda ok speakers have thump to em and shake my side mirrors. i want to know if these would be an upgrade in bass or a waste of money downgrade

or should i go with Rockford Fosgate Punch P1572 instead. Cuz i aint getting no dang cheap pos pioneer speakers

Kicker KS68: 45 - 21,000 Hz
RF Punch: 75 - 22,000 Hz
Pioneer TS-D6802R: 31 - 42000 Hz

The 'cheap pos' Pioneer speakers, as you referred to them, will give you more bass. The RF are the best of the 3 for a mid range speaker, not bass, not even close.
Like I said, you will NEVER get hard bass out of the door speakers.

If you want bass, keep your factory speakers and add a subwoofer.

No problem. Hopefully it works out for you.

Back