2003 Explorer 4.6L Coolant in Oil

smerkal

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Chapter two of this saga begins...Previous Thread Here

Earlier in the year I was loosing coolant into the oil. The engine was removed, top end disassembled, heads pressure checked and head gaskets replaced. I also did the timing chain and guides while it was apart. After re-assembly, it continued to loose coolant although seemingly not as much as before. I added some Ford stop leak and went on with my life.

Two days ago I discovered the heater was performing poorly (my wife usually drives it) and checked the coolant level. It took a gallon to fill it. No external leaking. I drained the oil, pressurized the cooling system and coolant dripped out of the oil drain.

I don't know where else to look. I pulled the front cover again in hopes that it was a core plug leaking but this engine only has the two in the heads and on small one below the water pump. No evidence of leakage at any of them.

Anyone more familiar with the Explorer Romeo Aluminum 4.6L know of another place to look?

Any recommendations for a re-manufactured engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does that thing have an oil cooler?

I pulled the engine and removed the pan, etc. I pressurized the cooling system on the stand and the water drips out of the air passage above the crank and below the valley. I cant really see up in there to determine the source though. Still looking. Might have to borrow a bore scope to get a better look.

Problem Found

Problem found and it's not good. There is a crack 2"+ long in the casting above the crankshaft in the vent passage below the valley. It's in the left side of the engine between the center two cylinders, parallel to the crankshaft axis. Engine block is junk. Time for a new engine.

Image quality is poor due to being a picture of a small screen. First picture shows drops forming with the crack going top left to bottom right.

jszjif.jpg

Looking at it from the rear with the camera rotated right 90 degrees. Crack is visible up the center of the image.

b5i650.jpg

Hi smerkal!
So have you replaced your engine or just the block?

I am currently also taking my engine apart as I have water / coolant in the oil. Lots if water in the 2 valve covers. Actually when I drained the oil out the pan, 8.2 litres of it (which is strange as the oil capacity is only 5.6) I detected no water in the oil. I'm also thinking I have a cracked block.
Any thoughts?

Regards

Back