2003 explorer sport "no start" question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer sport "no start" question

Tbruz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exporer Sport
My 2003 explorer has a recurring random no start issue; followed minutes later by starting up with no issue for days/weeks/months

Tonight I got the no start and it continued to no start.
No fuel pump hum at key on and confirmed with fuel pressure gauge that I had no fuel pressure.

I located the inertia switch and depressed it; at key on, I heard the fuel pump and the truck immediately started up.

1) Do these inertia switches go bad??
2) Does a 2003 Explorer sport have the FPDM fuel pump driver module; if so where is it?
Thanks,
Tbruz

I had a similiar no start with an 04 Ranger, that I chased for several weeks. Replaced the FP relay, inertial switch, read wire voltages, etc. After fiddling with it, the truck would start but after a day or two the no-start would return.

I finally replaced the pump, and that fixed it.

To answer your question, the inertial switch can go bad. But if your no start is returning after resetting the switch, I'd suspect the fuel pump.

I doubt if your 03 has a FP driver. My 04 Ranger dosen't have one; not sure when Ford started using these...?

Thank you!
Was leaning toward the pump myself as I have only had to reset the inertia switch one time and I have had about 4 no starts in the past 3 months.
Will drive the tank to nearly empty to make the job easier on me.
Tbruz

Back