Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
Callsign
KC1BHO
Hi,

Had my rack and pinion replaced a few weeks ago at a friend's local garage due to rust causing a massive leak. $1200ish including a few other parts. Thanks, Boston-area weather and salty roads (and lack of indoor garaging for many years).

Since getting the car back I've had a few issues and I'm wondering if they're related.

The car no longer seems to know when it is off -- meaning that when I turn it off, remove the key, and open my door, the radio stays on instead of turning off like it used to. The alarm is also randomly sounding -- most often in the middle of the night at newly low outdoor temperatures. (teens and 20s mostly.) [Note: I've already taken apart the driver's side door to get at the door ajar switch and have tested it and it seems to work just fine. Of course, I don't know if it is the issue with the shrunken/broken wires in the door hinge.]

MORE IMPORTANTLY -- I just noticed that the steering no longer locks into place after the car is off and I remove the key. I *think* the steering used to lock. Can anyone please confirm this? 2003 Explorer V8 Limited AWD.

I'm wondering if the two issues may be related as I read in other threads/forums/etc. that the steering lock has to be dealt with (removed, disabled, bypassed, etc.) if an automatic starter is to be installed as otherwise the alarm's "kill switch" doesn't let it start.

Any help/guidance is much appreciated. The mechanic asked me to confirm that the steering wheel used to lock before I bring it back -- and to be honest I'm not 100% sure -- but I *think* it did. That's my primary question for the group. As a close second, if anyone knows if replacing the rack & pinion can lead to the steering wheel lock malfunctioning, and third, if the malfunctioning steering wheel lock is a cause for the alarm to keep getting set off.

Sorry, I know this message is a bit all over the place. Appreciate the help everyone!

Thank you and happy holidays!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the wheel should lock, but if yanked hard enough (such as it beng stolen) it wont lock aymore iirc

the wheel should lock, but if yanked hard enough (such as it beng stolen) it wont lock aymore iirc
Thank you - super helpful. Hasn't been yanked (or attempted stolen) as far as a I know! Wondering if it could have happened during the replacement of the rack & pinion...? Is that a thing?

Thank you - super helpful. Hasn't been yanked (or attempted stolen) as far as a I know! Wondering if it could have happened during the replacement of the rack & pinion...? Is that a thing?
i mean anything is possible, but it seems unlikely? as far as it not locking i wonder if looking st it again if it "not knowing when its off" can cause that? mine always locks once it turns off, so maybe it could be related? not sure. does the fyel pumo stay on? if its running still the car thinks its in the run position and it wont lock the wheel (at least ina 2g)

also, thinking more avout it i find it less likely that the steering wouldve been yanked on this one since it has PATS, so probiding the thief knows they wont go newr it super easily these aint like the old ones where you yank the wheel pop off the trim around ignition(if needed) and jam a screwdriver in there and start er up 😂

Back