• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer V8 won't turn over!

broncoman76

Reaction score
City, State
Forest, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EB
Hey all! Great forum, glad I stumbled upon it!

Got a 2003 Ford Explorer EB V8 with about 85k on the clock. Wife went out to go to work this AM and it wouldn't crank/turn over. Came back to the house and here is where I am at at this point...

Cleaned the battery cables, battery is about 6 months old, checked with meter and have about 12.5 volts at the battery. Checked at starter and have same. Pulled starter and had it checked, no problems. Checked the wire to the solenoid on starter from ignition switch and have no juice. Tried jumping it earlier when ruling out the battery and no dice.

All lights and things function as they should.

No erratic flashing of the security lights leading to a PATS issue.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, I hate to have this thing towed out of my driveway!!

Try starting the truck in neutral. It may be a bad neutral safety switch. Otherwise you need to back trace the wire going to the starter solenoid using a wiring diagram to pinpoint the problem.

OK, got this thing figured out for now! Fuse #29 under the dash was blown. 10A fuse going to the gear selector switch/neutral safety switch/whatever it is called. It was blown. Replaced and she fired right up. Now, why it blew, I don't know, but I got a stash of 10A fuses in the glovebox just in case!

Back