• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explore heater problem

unhappy

Reaction score
City, State
Thornton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' xlt
I have a issue with my heater:mad:. Orginally, it started with some thumping in the dash when turned to warm and no warm air, which I was told that was due to the blend door actuator. I have now installed it:), but now I don't have the thumping noise and have heat to the floor, but when turned to defrost I get cool air, not 100% a/c, and through the panel vents I get outside temp.:eek:

Did I not have the vent door set correctly, when I installed it or do I have a bad vent door or????

Ideas suggestions with pictures would be great.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe this is your problem - the vent door to the dash vents may not be working properly - check out this photo to reference the Panel/Defrost Door vacuum motor:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...1&postcount=10

There is an arm that attaches this motor to a lever on the door to open and close it for airflow through the dash.

Let me know if this helps, or at least points you in the right direction...

Steve

Thanks for replying, however, I can't open up your short cut to the picture. Could you try again. Thanks

Alright got the picture, can you give me a little detail as to where exactly it is, I tried the video, but I couldn't get it to work. It's appearing this maybe a operator issue, rather then mechanical.

I do appreciate the help.

OK

Open your glove box.

Push in the tabs on either side of the glove box and let the box drop away from the dash - it will still be attached by the hinge.

Look inside the glove box opening to the left and you should see what is in the picture.

To see the actual door, you need to carefully pry the panel cover surrounding the radio and heater/AC controls - this has 4 pop in type connectors - not screws - so be careful to not pry too hard and end up breaking the panel or connectors.

Right behind where the dash vents (inside) you will see the door that opens and closes the dash vents.

This door has some kind of plastic tab that connects to the metal rod/arm going to the motor.

When you turn the air flow selector from dash to floor or defrost, you should see the door move. If you select floor or defrost, this door will close (preventing air flow through the dash vents).

This should help you to find what the problem might be.

Steve

Thanks! I will give it a shot.

Willie

Thanks for your help... The problem was the after market actuator I replaced. The OEM part has a 5/16" tooth and then some splines, where the after market piece has a 1/4" or smaller tooth and some very small splines at the base of the actuator which does not make contact.

I found this out by cutting the old shaft off and inserting it into the vent door hinge, using a vicescrip to turn it.

I will now be heading to Pick-A-Part, now I know how to take it out and pull 2 of them, one for back up, for a total $2. Instead of the after market piece for over $50.

This a great website, with good group of people!!:thumbsup:

Way to go!

I agree - this forum is a great place to go for advice and information.

Steve

Back