2003 Ford Explorer XLT Fuel pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Fuel pressure

Risso

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.0
I have read a few posts on the forum re: fuel pressures and am leaning towards mine being OK at 60-70PSI but the Haynes repair manual i have states that it should be 28-45psi. I am currently getting 60psi with the key on and around 70 when running. I believe i ihave a regulator on the pump and I have 2 feed lines to the fuel filter of which the larger feeds the rail through the filter and:

the other returns excess fuel to the "fuel pump / fuel level sending unit module. Both the fuel supply line and the fuel return line are pressurised. When the fuel pressure exceeds the upper threshold of the systems normal operating pressure, the fuel pressure regulator opens and fuel returns to the tank via the return line"
( that is word for word from the manual)

Should i suspect a faulty regulator then with my current pressure? Or am i returning fuel to the tank every time i am driving ? - my only issue at present is the long term fuel trim numbers which are approx -11 on one side and -6 on the other - not exactly alarming i suppose.

Thoughts?

Just read a thread from 2013

: Fuel rail pressure sensor and on post #24 2000StreetRod wrote : " Thru 1998 Ford installed a lower pressure return type fuel system. For 1999 thru 2003 Ford switched to a higher pressure (about 65 psi) non-return fuel system. In 2004 Ford installed a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail and the PCM controls fuel pressure via pulse width modulation"

That's good enough for me to stop worrying about this issue:)

The rich mix is still on the cards - how long should the rail hold pressure before dropping?

Back