2003 Ranger- Transmission won't shift! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ranger- Transmission won't shift!

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
I couldnt find any threads that mention these problems, so here goes a shot to get this problem resolved...

this is about my father in law's pickup. a 2003 ford ranger- it has a V6 engine, and automatic transmission......
he says the "OD off" light comes on. and also, it wont move forward when put in the "D" position. but he says if he manually shifts the trans (putting the trans in 1st, then 2nd, then drive), then it will go- and he has to do this every time he stops or slows down enough to need 1st or 2nd gear.

what I have done: when I checked the fluid, it was nice and red, but a half a quart low. so I added half a bottle of lucas transmission additive, thinking perhaps it may help, but it didn't.

I don't think he has taken it anywhere to have codes read.

this is all the information I can offer at this time. I can ask him questions if anyone needs more info help narrow down the problem.

could this be a vacuum issue? torque converter problem? clogged line? wrong fluid, perhaps?

any help with this would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

PS: I am no mechanic, so most of the lingo and abbreviations are greek to me.... dumbed down terms are best- LMAO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldnt find any threads that mention these problems, so here goes a shot to get this problem resolved...

this is about my father in law's pickup. a 2003 ford ranger- it has a V6 engine, and automatic transmission......
he says the "OD off" light comes on. and also, it wont move forward when put in the "D" position. but he says if he manually shifts the trans (putting the trans in 1st, then 2nd, then drive), then it will go- and he has to do this every time he stops or slows down enough to need 1st or 2nd gear.

what I have done: when I checked the fluid, it was nice and red, but a half a quart low. so I added half a bottle of lucas transmission additive, thinking perhaps it may help, but it didn't.

I don't think he has taken it anywhere to have codes read.

this is all the information I can offer at this time. I can ask him questions if anyone needs more info help narrow down the problem.

could this be a vacuum issue? torque converter problem? clogged line? wrong fluid, perhaps?

any help with this would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

PS: I am no mechanic, so most of the lingo and abbreviations are greek to me.... dumbed down terms are best- LMAO
They don't come any dumber than me....so, first, the "OD OFF" light is used as a red flag (unless it was manually turned off) to indicate trouble. Usually when that happens, it is made to flash on and off, not just stay on. Is it flashing? Really just guesswork until codes are read. Any good parts store will do that free. Beware, though, they want to sell parts, and sometimes are reluctant to fully reveal what they have seen.

Second: Will it engage and move in R, Reverse? I could throw out more ideas, knowing which transmission it is would help, as I am not that familiar with Rangers. Seems an unusual problem, though.

If Admin. reads, he will likely know right off, he does it for a living. You around, JK? imp

it wont move forward when put in the "D" position. but he says if he manually shifts the trans (putting the trans in 1st, then 2nd, then drive), then it will go- and he has to do this every time he stops or slows down enough to need 1st or 2nd gear.

This sounds like a failed low sprag, nothing electrical can cause it not to have a forward gear in drive.

Most of the time when the low sprag fails it damages the inner sprag race that is pressed into the case, when this happens its time to replace the case.

exactly what does that mean in idiot terms? i dont know what a sprag is.... does that mean the transmission is junk? -or is it an easy fix? something I can do myself- or must it go into the shop?

They don't come any dumber than me....so, first, the "OD OFF" light is used as a red flag (unless it was manually turned off) to indicate trouble. Usually when that happens, it is made to flash on and off, not just stay on. Is it flashing? Really just guesswork until codes are read. Any good parts store will do that free. Beware, though, they want to sell parts, and sometimes are reluctant to fully reveal what they have seen.
Second: Will it engage and move in R, Reverse? I could throw out more ideas, knowing which transmission it is would help, as I am not that familiar with Rangers. Seems an unusual problem, though.
If Admin. reads, he will likely know right off, he does it for a living. You around, JK? imp

he says it don't really want to engage in Reverse..... he says the "OD off" light flashes, but not all the time.... it does not stay lit up all the time..... just flashes. I don't know what kind of transmission it has in it.... but it has a V6 engine

This sounds like a failed low sprag, nothing electrical can cause it not to have a forward gear in drive.

Most of the time when the low sprag fails it damages the inner sprag race that is pressed into the case, when this happens its time to replace the case.

exactly what does that mean in idiot terms? i dont know what a sprag is.... does that mean the transmission is junk? -or is it an easy fix? something I can do myself- or must it go into the shop?

I hope JK comes back, cause I don't quite see how a failed sprag clutch will allow operation normally in 1, 2, or 3. Also, we don't know anything at all about 4th. or 5th. gear.

BTW, a sprag clutch is a specialized kind of drive mechanism which allows free rotation in one direction, but locks up and provides power in the other direction. If that is the cause, the transmission case is shot, as he says. imp

he says it don't really want to engage in Reverse..... he says the "OD off" light flashes, but not all the time.... it does not stay lit up all the time..... just flashes. I don't know what kind of transmission it has in it.... but it has a V6 engine

It should have the 5R55E transmission in it.

So if the transmission has no reverse and no drive in drive or overdrive range, but will engage in forward in manual low and 2nd, its most likely a broken input sprag.

The sprag allows components to rotate in only one direction and hold in the other.

Its a common failure for this transmission.

Read through this thread, it will give you a idea of what you could be dealing with.

5R55E

he drives it almost 100 miles a day going to and from work everyday.... he says that once it gets up to 40 mph or faster (or on the highway) it seems to act normal. ....so for this repair, is it something a dumbass like me can do myself, or will it need to go into the shop? any idea what ballpark figure a shop would charge to fix it?

Back