2004 Eddie Bauer 4WD 6.0L Can't Pump Gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Eddie Bauer 4WD 6.0L Can't Pump Gas

larryt-navy

Reaction score
City, State
Olive Branch, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Baure 4WD
Just bought a 2004 with 89,000 miles. When I tried to pump gas I couldn't fill but a small amount at a time before the pump kicks off. I suspect the Vapor Canister Purge Valve but I don't know where it is located on the Eddie Bauer. Local Ford dealer has part for $38.00 so if it is relatively easy to get to I can replace it. Ayone know where this is located? I suspect its in the driver wheel well or on top of the gas tank but I don't know. Also today the engine stalled at a stop light. It was hard to restart and when it did I had a "Check engine soon" light that wasn't there before. These two things are probably related. Drove the car all day after that without an incident.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine? Ford didn't make 6.0L explorer lol or I would own one.

dont mater what engine its in the rear on left side on chassis but valve usually is not the problem it is usually a spider web in the vent line

Canister vent solenoid is on the frame rail directly behind where the fill neck attaches to gas tank. The vapor management valve(purge valve) is in the engine compartment on the driver side above the shock area.

Wow! 6.0L would be nice. This is obviously the 4.0L 6CYL. I'll check for a blocked vent line. I suspected the Vapor Canister Purge Valve because that fixed identical problem on a friends 2003 model several years ago. It looks like I can get to the part. At least I have a long weekend to figure it out. HAPPY TURKEY DAY and thank you for the help.

Back