2004 Explorer front wheel bearing

ikpearce

Reaction score
City, State
Kanata, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hi all

Posted this in "New Member" section as well, but probably better to be on this board.

New memeber and new owner of a 2004 Explorer xlt 4WD. Recently arrived in Canada from the UK and thought it would be nice to have something big after years of driving smaller European cars.

Bought the Explorer in early Jan and now experiencing a wheel bearing hum from front drivers side when i turn left. Took it to shop this morning and they confirmed it is the wheel bearing. No evidence of wear they said but $450 to replace it.

To me it sounds like a dry bearing. Just wandering if anyone knows if you can re-grease the bearing or are they a sealed unit?

Any help gratefully recieved before i pay up.

Regards

Ian

It's a completely sealed unit. The cost of the hub/bearing assembly is around $150 from any parts store (a little less if you look online), so I think that $450 is actually quite high for the job...it's a 1.5 hr shop job, so they must be charging $175/hr for labor up there.

Buy the part yourself, and take it to a trusted mechanic who will give you an honest quote. You could do the job yourself as many of us have done on here, there is a great write-up on it from "High_Order1" if you search, you just need to have the correct tools (and patience) to finish the job...but it isn't all that difficult really.

If you have no choice and need a mechanic to fix it, get another quote...$450 is just way too high to replace 1 side, part included.

Potroast

Thanks for that. I have been quoted $126 for labour, $242 for parts.

I will look at the DIY post to see if it's within my capabilities.

Ian

Back