2004 Explorer fuel pump driver module location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer fuel pump driver module location

Wolfster001

Reaction score
City, State
Tette Haute, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I am a new member to this forum, I hope this is not an old question, but I am afraid it is... The truck just stopped on my wife while coming home and would not restart, she said it acted like it was out of gas, well after a couples hours of friends trying to get her going they figured the fuel pump since no one herd it going... I hooked the diagnostic code reader on it the next day and got a code P1237 and is secondary circuit (fuel pump driver module) and now for the past 4 days have been googgling and searching you tube for it's location and nothing... Every video and pic I see is of a F150 or a expedition and sorry to say is nothing like a explorer, I am lucky to have 24" rims so the truck sets very high and I have looked and can not see it anywhere I remover the spare tire, most videos all show it to the drivers side and close to the spare tire on the frame and nothing I can see several video's show right next to the drivers side rear tire and I looked and nada... anyone have some pics or a video showing it??? My health sucks and it is hard for me to craw under it and look... I appreciate any help on this matter or if this is already been answered, then please link me to that discussion.. Thank you
Be Blessed...:usa::exp::usa::salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, but It's not there the first link is for a F150 and is not the same as a explorer and the second link doesn't help either... I do thank you for your attempt though.. I think mine may be inviable or extremely well hidden... I was told the Explorer & Ranger are similar, yet both are different then the F150 and the expedition... so locations on F150 and the expedition are not the same as far as I can see...
Thank you
I will try to post a pic of what the bottom of mine does look like...

Not there? :confused:
Yes the fpdm is located on the passenger side behind the interior trim in the cargo area (where the third row is located) pretty much behind the rear passengers taillight. If you remove the interior trim panel you'll see it bolted (one 10mm bolt,and two wire harness clips) just below the taillight bolts. I'll post pics tomorrow.

The module is located in the right rear quarter panel.

Found one, but now another problem...

Sorry I took so long to reply, I thought I already left the reply, I wrote one, lol I just forgot to submit it I guess, Thank you.. I just found that out myself a friend told me, he had the same issue a few years ago..
now that after I changed it, it ran for 3 seconds, so I am close I guess...
I have 3 codes it shows...
1) P1000 OBD systems readiness (test not completed)
2) P1116 Engine Coolant Temperature sensor out or or self test range
3) P1237 Fuel Pump secondary circuit (Fuel Pump Driver Module)

The first one I have no clue I can't find nothing for it just that it is common glitch in a lot of ford trucks...

On the P1237, I replaced the module and it did run (for 3 seconds) I was frantic and took a day to relax from it..

On P1116 I found out on a lot of Ford trucks and cars if it goes out, it can and will stop the engine from running... after I replaced it (the Coolant Temperature sensor) I started the truck and it started up and ran, but only ran for abut 8 seconds...

Now with this said What can I do??? I looked for the valve to bleed fuel pressure, yet I have not a clue where it is, even if that will do it...:mad::mad::(:(

Back