2004 Ford Explorer...experiencing vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer...experiencing vibration

bakincrazy66

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hello,

New to this forum. I've had my Explorer to the dealership with a concern of a vibration I get when driving. The spark plugs have been replaced, I've added fuel injection cleaner. I feel the vibration at idle and while driving. For lack of a better way of explaining it, it's like when you have a cold and some times you can breathe and some times you can't. That's what the engine seems like. I've seen postings elsewhere on vibration problems with Ford F series trucks. Help!
Thanks ~Lisa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

New to this forum. I've had my Explorer to the dealership with a concern of a vibration I get when driving. The spark plugs have been replaced, I've added fuel injection cleaner. I feel the vibration at idle and while driving. For lack of a better way of explaining it, it's like when you have a cold and some times you can breathe and some times you can't. That's what the engine seems like. I've seen postings elsewhere on vibration problems with Ford F series trucks. Help!
Thanks ~Lisa

Maybe try seafoam, changing air filter, check see if throttle body and maf is dirty

fuel filter done recently ?

Crankshaft damper is the problem. Only happens on 2004-2005. No one really knows about this problem just something we have seen alot at my dealership. If you reach inside the crankshaft pulley you will feel a loose ring inside.

Thanks!

Wow..thanks for the quick response! I did put seafoam in right away...no changes, fuel filter...yep! The dealership couldn't figure it out and neither could another tech and the nice $1700 bill didn't make me happy either. I will have the tech check the crankshaft pulley and keep my fingers crossed. Let cha know.

Thanks again for the advice!

~Lisa

Just making sure it a V6. Only happens on V6 engines.

It's a V6 and...

And I was going to take the truck to Kansas from Wisconsin. Now I think I need to get a rental and get this thing in the shop! I haven't had any squealing though, which many posts mention that I've seen. :)

It is not the outside ring, that will cause the sqealing your talking about. This is a rubber piece that in inside the pulley like where the bolt goes to bolt it on.

Hello thank you for u help so what is the right way to fix this problem I need a new crankshaft pulley ?

Explorer 2004 vibration in seat an back of truck

Hi there I have a Ford Explorer 04 an it's vibrating around. 60to 70mph so I took to shop an they said it could be ball joints upper an lower so I replaced uppers lowers an sway bars an also the toe link in the back both sided an still vibrating even after alignment an rotation an balance... So went to a different shop just in case an got another balance same thing.. I got 4 new tires around dec an I think it could be the tires it never happen with old tires. An also when I was driving on highway it was nice and smooth an then I Hurd a quick noise an then From there On! it started vibrating I was at 80mph around there when it happened. So basically got new tires still look great an new front end wrk an no luck!!

ANY HELP PLEASE THIUGHTS PLEASE SHARE

Back