• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ranger 4WD alignment

Kyle K.

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hey all, I joined in 1999 with my jacked up Explorer, haven't been on in a while. Daughter now has a 2004 Ranger 4x4 that needs an alignment. These questions have probably been asked a few different ways, and I'm finding helpful info, but...
My experience has been a lifted vehicle will have positive camber and a lowered vehicle will be negative. I think her truck has a torsion bar crank (no other obvious suspension mods) but it has negative camber. Is that normal? I have read numerous posts on here and TRS with both positive and negative. What gives?

After I discussed this at work, my theory is the control arm is at the ideal neutral position from the factory and since it is shorter than the lower control arm, once the torsion bar is cranked (or a leveling torsion key installed) it now rests already in the downstroke. The idea being that on the downstroke, the shorter upper arm is moving in a smaller arc than the longer lower arm, therefore it is tilting inward, creating negative camber.

The solution is... I'm going to fab adjustable control arms. Barnes 4WD threaded components for the adjustment, Moog control arm for the main body.

Back