2005 4.0 Slight sputter . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 4.0 Slight sputter .

explorerey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
First time post long time lurker here. Hope you guys can help me with my dilemma. I have a 2005 4.0 X with 84,x.. miles that has recently developed a slight sputter in low rpms. Feels like a slight drop in rpms more like it :banghead:. It usually happens in park or at a light, but it's constant. I have changed the plugs, air filter, added a can of sea foam, and cleaned the tb. Took it over to AutoZone and got a p2104 code prior to cleaning the tb. Not reading any codes after tb was cleaned, but sputter still there. Possible vacuum leak?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard that they are subject to Intake Manifold leaks and that can cause lean running that may or may not throw a code.

Here is some good reading on the system and P2104 code

http://articles.d-tips.com/art8.html

Did the codes come back?

No codes. Did notice it only does it between 700-1200 rpms when applying my foot on the gas. Once RPMS go over 1200 sputter is gone. Also, my MPG has gone down to 13-14 from 15-16 city driving. Sprayed brake cleaner around the intake, tb, and several vacuum lines in search of a leak, but none detected.

Back