2005 Lincoln Aviator throwing codes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Lincoln Aviator throwing codes.

warwgn3

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
Disclaimer: Ok, so I’m posting here because I do NOT see a proper section on this forum where I can post about my 2005 Lincoln Aviator.

Moderators, please… can you point me to a section for 1st generation 2002-2005 Lincoln Aviators?

Ok, now down to business. My brother is a mechanic. He is trying to get my 2005 Lincoln Aviator plated for the road. It still has not had a safety inspection yet. There are a few issues with the Aviator that has him stumped, and he doesn’t know what to do and he would like some help.

In his words:

“In the ABS module there's no ABS light on the dash, but there's still codes for a pedal travel sensor circuit fault which doesn't seem important as well as 2 codes for Module Calibration. Is this calibration something quick and simple that can be done at the dealer, or with a Snap-On scanner, or is this going to require replacing the module? If so does the module need to be programmed to the car?

Also, there is a constant message CHECK ADVTRAC on the dash. Even after clearing all codes and restarting the vehicle, CHECK ADVTRAC comes back right away. (As well as at least one module calibration code). Does it have to do with the above issue?

Thirdly, reading all modules with the Snap-On scanner, there doesn't seem to be a 4wd or AWD module in the list. Is the AWD completely mechanical in this vehicle, like an old Subaru, or should I be able to communicate to an AWD module? I'm not seeing one at all.

There's other issues as well, like SRS system but I want to tackle the AWD and ABS issues firstly and make sure that's working before I deal with the airbags & loud exhaust.

Thanks for any pointers.”

EC5604E2-C45F-45C2-BCC5-72CC0CD119D1.jpeg

i do believe it requires a dealer level tool, as calibration cannot the done manually afaik. it can be set when a tone ring for example is replaced and the signal changes. did find thi sonline
PINPOINT TEST M: DTC C1998 — MODULE CALIBRATION NOT COMPLETE
NOTE: The stability assist lamp flashes when a system calibration is required. Calibration is required after certain DTCs are cleared.

NOTE: Make sure the vehicle is not on a hoist and is sitting on level ground before carrying out the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module calibration.

Test Step Result / Action to Take
M1 CHECK FOR DTCs
Connect the diagnostic tool.
Key in ON position.
Check the recorded results from the smart junction box (SJB) self-test:
Is any other DTC retrieved with C1998?
Yes
GO to the appropriate pinpoint test for the DTC.

Some of the pinpoint tests recommend anti-lock brake system (ABS) module calibration prior to any further diagnostics; in this case, GO to M2 .

No
GO to M2 .
M2 ABS MODULE CALIBRATION
Start the engine.
NOTE: Be sure to rotate the steering wheel lock-to-lock during the calibration of the ABS system.
Carry out the ABS module calibration per the diagnostic tool instructions.
Did the calibration complete for all of the stability assist sensors and did the stability assist lamp turn off?
Yes
GO to M3 .

No
GO to M4 .

Some concerns will cause the calibration to not complete. If sent here from another pinpoint test, RETURN to that pinpoint test for further diagnostics.
M3 CLEAR DTC C1998
NOTE: Clear DTC C1998 after completing the calibration.
Key in ON position.
Clear the DTC.
Did the DTC clear?
Yes
TEST DRIVE the vehicle. REPEAT the self-test.

If sent here from another pinpoint test, RETURN to that pinpoint test for further diagnostics.

No
GO to M4 .
M4 MONITOR THE STEERING POSITION SENSOR PIDS
Key in ON position.
Monitor the ABS module steering position sensor PIDS while rotating the steering wheel clockwise and counterclockwise.
Are the 2 steering position sensor PID values switching as the wheel rotates?
Yes
Go To Pinpoint Test H .

No
Go To Pinpoint Test G .

Back