2006 4.0L extremely noisy when cold start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 4.0L extremely noisy when cold start

nleipziger

Reaction score
City, State
Langhorne, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Hello all, my 2006 Exp w/ V-6 and 190,000 miles on the odometer is extremely noisy from a cold start. It goes away after about 3-5 minutes. The noise appears from the accessory area of the engine. It has been consistent for the past 3 winters but quiet during the summer months. It sounds like a noisy bearing so I replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulleys. I then used a stethoscope and thought for sure it was the bearings in the alternator so I replaced it with a reman unit. Still no joy! What am I missing that could cause this near the front of the engine? Thanks for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all, my 2006 Exp w/ V-6 and 190,000 miles on the odometer is extremely noisy from a cold start. It goes away after about 3-5 minutes. The noise appears from the accessory area of the engine. It has been consistent for the past 3 winters but quiet during the summer months. It sounds like a noisy bearing so I replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulleys. I then used a stethoscope and thought for sure it was the bearings in the alternator so I replaced it with a reman unit. Still no joy! What am I missing that could cause this near the front of the engine? Thanks for your input.

mine does this too and it seems to come from the drivers side more than the passenger... a/c compressor maybe. or worse the timing cassettes

does your airbag light stay on if its REAL cold out? (like yesterday in the northeast)

Gorb, no airbag light this time but I had that in the past. Someone posted that the battery was weak during cold start. I doubted that but sure enough about a month later the battery died and when I replace it, the airbag light problem was solved. Go figure.....

My 4.0 in my 2003 did this really bad but when it warmed up it was fine no ticks and knocks. 160k the kid that bought it reports its still doing very well.

My 08 does it too but not quite as bad. 100k miles

My '10 with 182,000mi does it too. I've replaced the pulley and tensioner twice. I had my mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything. Part of me thinks it may be a small exhaust leak that once the pipe heats up and expands, the noise goes away.

These are going to sound like silly questions, but can you be more descriptive of the noise you hear? Is it a squeal, wuur, ping, knock, rattle? Also, have you checked your oil level? Sometimes when you are low on oil, the motor can sound noisy on a cold start until heat and pressure build up as the engine warms up and expands the oil, which will then quiet up the noise.

My 08 Mountaineer Premier 4.6L AWD (178k miles) makes an awful racket on a cold startup.
It is much louder on the driver's side and it's every morning and evening on a fresh start.

It sounds like it could be the cover on the catalytic converter is loose, or just touching the frame, when it is cold.
Once it warms up the noise goes away.

I'm thinking its the transmission. On mine anyway

As LONO100 asked, can you be more descriptive of the noise you hear? Is it a squeal, wuur, ping, knock, rattle?

My truck had a loud squeal that would go away once it got up to temperature and it went away when I replaced the harmonic balancer.

I replaced the alternator, serpentine belt, and belt tensioner thinking it would solve the loud squeaking but it didn't stop until the balancer was replaced.

Basically looked like this:
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/Fighting5thSVT/My Typhoon pics/Cars/105_9179.jpg

Back