• Register Today It's free!

2006 Eddie Bauer. Lock problem.

pkeb06

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
The rear passenger side door on my Explorer has stopped locking automatically. I can manually lock and unlock it. I think the gear is stripped, as it makes a strange noise when I use the button on the remote or the button on my driver door panel. Is there any way to get inside the door and see what is happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Suspect solenoid mate, mine broke free from the rivet, I used a screw and its been fine for years!
Take door panel of and watch operation as you open and close, bet thats the cause.

You need a door lock actuator.

How do I remove the door panel? There is one screw at the bottom and the handle has two screws, but when I remove those, the panel will not come off and I don't want to break anything by trying to force it off...

hello forum members.. I just joined and found this old item in my search. I have a similar item with my driver side front door. I have to lock/ unlock manually with key. I can hear it making a loud buzzing sound but the door will not lock/unlock. it actually scared the crap out of me when I test drove it when the doors auto-locked when I reached 18mph or whatever it is.

I'm guessing something inside the door lock on that door is not working. it does the same thing using the key fob, the switches or the key pad.

if someone can find a link here in the forums it would be helpful. Anyone know the steps to removing the door panel to get at the actuator mechanism? anything I found on u-tube was for 3rd generation explorers and the 4th looks a lot different...

thanks,

There are four bolts and one screw as I recall. The screw is at the very bottom of the door panel. Two bolts are in the handle separate from the arm rest - you have to pop the plastic cover off. Two more bolts are in the forward portion of the arm rest - you have to pop that plastic piece off also to access them - the one that's circular at the end next to the door handle. If I recall correctly, they are 8MM and are in a little deep. After they are removed, pull UP on the panel to remove - do not pull out.

Hi QB100 - Here's some videos from 1AAuto.com showing you how to remove the door panels. These guys just released (in the last year and even a few recently) a lot of videos for the 4th gen Explorer for future reference.

Front doors -

Rear doors -

Hope this helps!

I have a similar item with my driver side front door. I have to lock/ unlock manually with key. I can hear it making a loud buzzing sound but the door will not lock/unlock.
Loud buzzing is usually the sound of stripped nylon lock actuator gears. Remove the trim panel to diagnose.

Hi QB100 - Here's some videos from 1AAuto.com showing you how to remove the door panels. These guys just released (in the last year and even a few recently) a lot of videos for the 4th gen Explorer for future reference.

Front doors -

Rear doors -

Hope this helps!

awesome!! thanks for the links.. i'll dig into it this weekend.. will post findings..

Thanks again for the links... able to get the door apart and verify the actuator is shot.. ordered a replacement.. will update on the repair when the part arrives.

Got r done! Gotta love youtube!!!

Back