2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

After driving the truck for about a week now, I've noticed that in 4x4 low there is a little 2-1 jerk. Is this normal or should I see about newer updates? Also the 1-2 shift in normal 4x2 or 4x4 auto is a just a little harsh. Is this abnormal or is it just because of the big ratio difference between 1 and 2? It's not really that bad, but I'd at least like to hear opinions.

Mike

If it hasn't been happening before, then it's not normal. I'd get it serviced. How often do you use the 4WD?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've only owned it for a little over a week so far. As far as the 1-2 shift, it's not really harsh, maybe it's just because of the big ratio difference between first and second.

We haven't used 4x4 yet except during the test drive, but we will use it more than most as we have some property to get around on. That's a reason we bought the truck based SUV vs a crossover that gets a little better MPG.

It's Ford Certified so this shouldn't cost me anything to have it updated right?

Mike

We've only owned it for a little over a week so far. As far as the 1-2 shift, it's not really harsh, maybe it's just because of the big ratio difference between first and second.

We haven't used 4x4 yet except during the test drive, but we will use it more than most as we have some property to get around on. That's a reason we bought the truck based SUV vs a crossover that gets a little better MPG.

It's Ford Certified so this shouldn't cost me anything to have it updated right?

Mike

Should be free for you. I'd go to the dealer and ask before they do any work, that way you're not surprised at the cashier counter ;)

I have a 2006 4x4 EB Explorer... have had the shifting issue ever since I picked it up used about a year ago. When I bought it, it was still under warranty, it now has 66K (obviously not under warranty)

I had been doing some research about the tranny bump, and just overall bad behavior from the tranny. I called the local dealer and mentioned that I would like to bring it in, for the problem, and I told him... I know what the problem is, and I don't want to pay a hundred bucks for them to tell me what is wrong. I would like to have TSB 8-24-4 uploaded, and any other pre-requisites... long story short he said it will still cost a c-note, but just to have it done... but he said they wouldn't do the TSB, but upload the current software in general... My question is, has anyone had any success with this fixing the problem? Or does 8-24-4 need to be done seperate? My appt is for tomorrow, so I am hoping for some quick responses!

I have a 2006 4x4 EB Explorer... have had the shifting issue ever since I picked it up used about a year ago. When I bought it, it was still under warranty, it now has 66K (obviously not under warranty)

I had been doing some research about the tranny bump, and just overall bad behavior from the tranny. I called the local dealer and mentioned that I would like to bring it in, for the problem, and I told him... I know what the problem is, and I don't want to pay a hundred bucks for them to tell me what is wrong. I would like to have TSB 8-24-4 uploaded, and any other pre-requisites... long story short he said it will still cost a c-note, but just to have it done... but he said they wouldn't do the TSB, but upload the current software in general... My question is, has anyone had any success with this fixing the problem? Or does 8-24-4 need to be done seperate? My appt is for tomorrow, so I am hoping for some quick responses!
How did this go for you PB4UPLAY? I have a thread about this here... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2208562#post2208562

Well I just had the latest transmission update done last Wednesday and finally, the transmission is finally fixed. No more slams, no more bumps, no more sputters, no more 2nd to 1st shifts after accelerating from a stop!

I figured now that Ford released this 6 speed automatic in their F150, they probably finally fixed it and they did.

For the most, it shifts now just like a regular transmission with no hesistation, slams, or bumps when you stop suddenly to a complete stop, then start quickly. It feels just like my other trucks. In fact, the transmission seems to shift all gears much more smoothly, as like my previous 5 speed transmissions in my Nissan Trucks. This Ford Transmission was anything but a smooth shifting transmission no matter what Ford would like us to believe. It was just harsh and jolting when shifting. Not anymore. :thumbsup:

Initially when the trans is first driven after sitting for a long time, it sometimes starts in 2nd, then 1 or 2 seconds later, shifts to 1st. Only on sudden complete stops with quick starts, BUT it's as smooth as butter with no slams or bumps, just smoooooth! When it warms up, it shifts just like any other good transmission.

I'm very very happy that this is finally fixed, but I'm irritated that it took Ford this long to program the transmission correctly.

Since my large selling dealership is a bunch of $#@%*, I went to another large shop. Unfortunately they never had a transmission repairman and referred me to the shop I had problems with. The other shops in the area, have only banker hours and must cater to the elite as no working person could ever get their vehicle in since they close at 4:30pm with no weekend hours. I then found a rural dealer close to work, that is really good with great manners, friendly, and has a lot of know how. They actually knew of the trans issue and were saying this newest update was a good fix. Then they said my Sport Trac had the smoothest shifts after the fix they felt.

Being their really really small being a rural dealer, I didn't get a hand out of the TSB program number or anything, just standard paper work. However the update was done on 5-27-09 and it was the latest.

So if you haven't had the latest update, get it as it does finally fix the trans issue completely!!

BTW, thanks to you guys keeping us informed, I learned about the new transmission update. THANKS!!!

Have a good one.

Mike Up - thanks for the update. I had the 'latest' TSB performed in December and it improved things greatly, however the trans is still not as smooth as I think it should be. Especially the 1st gear grab when taking off from a slow rolling stop. Is there a chance you can call the dealership and ask them for the TSB number that was applied to your vehicle? They should have it on record. Much appreciated!

Mike Up - thanks for the update. I had the 'latest' TSB performed in December and it improved things greatly, however the trans is still not as smooth as I think it should be. Especially the 1st gear grab when taking off from a slow rolling stop. Is there a chance you can call the dealership and ask them for the TSB number that was applied to your vehicle? They should have it on record. Much appreciated!

Now I don't know if this TSB would fix that. This is a different type of transmission. Even after the fix, I was told that it still wouldn't shift like a standard transmission. I was told from another transmission guy that the one way clutch was taken out to save on gas mileage and to give better performance. Of course you now have 1:1 pairing with no transmission overcoasting if the transmission's rpms are running faster than the motor's rpms. I knew that there must be a better way of addressing the shifting with this new design but Ford was just slow to revise it. Overall, while it was an annoyance, it didn't bother me that bad. I love the truck.

I've noticed after the latest TSB, that on some rolling stops, that it doesn't shift down to 1st and just stays in 2nd. I guess if you really stomped on the gas, it would likely just shift to first but I didn't try. My annoyance was with the 2nd to 1st gear shift, slam or bump, after coming to a complete stop, then accelerating immediately after coming to a stop (not waiting 1 second for the trans to shift to 1st). This has been completely eliminated.

Can you describe your issue and I'll tell you if my Sport Trac is doing the same after the latest TSB. Thanks.

After owning a 2000 Xterra, a 2004 Nissan Titan, and then a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, they all had quirks in their transmissions. The pathfinder was the worst (even though it shared it's trans with the Titan) as when it was around 40 mph - 45 mph, the overdrive would shift in and out and cause harshness and vibration. It was irritating. You really did need to use the overdrive disable button when driving in town. Don't know why the Titan didn't do it, perhaps coupling, pairing, or other characterics defined by the system and not the component. Maybe not as irritating as the 2nd to 1st shifting of the Ford, but none the less, irritating and a quirk.

Then the Titan had some goofy stuff when using the transmission in manual, for slowing with the transmission when pulling a trailer or when driving in hills. It would buck back and forth occasionally. It was widely known on the Nissan boards.

So far my Sport Trac has been the best Truck I've owned. The Titan, the worst.

Have a good one.

The 6-speed auto trans in your '08 Sport Trac should be essentially the same as the one in my '07 Explorer? You say yours is a different type of trans? Not sure I follow you there.

My bump issue when coming to a stop is compeltely gone since the last TSB was applied to my vehicle. The issue I still have is, when coming to stop sign, if you don't stop completely and are rolling slowly and just get back on the gas (not hard, just normal), it seems I can catch the trans between 1st and 2nd gear. Then it jumps into first somewhat rough and off you go. Like the trans was confused on what gear to go in and was slow to decide on 1st gear. Like you mentioned, I do notice that it does stay in 2nd more often when rolling through a stop. But like I mentioned, if you are going slow enough, it will choose to downshift into 1st gear, but grabs it rough.

The 6-speed auto trans in your '08 Sport Trac should be essentially the same as the one in my '07 Explorer? You say yours is a different type of trans? Not sure I follow you there.

My bump issue when coming to a stop is compeltely gone since the last TSB was applied to my vehicle. The issue I still have is, when coming to stop sign, if you don't stop completely and are rolling slowly and just get back on the gas (not hard, just normal), it seems I can catch the trans between 1st and 2nd gear. Then it jumps into first somewhat rough and off you go. Like the trans was confused on what gear to go in and was slow to decide on 1st gear. Like you mentioned, I do notice that it does stay in 2nd more often when rolling through a stop. But like I mentioned, if you are going slow enough, it will choose to downshift into 1st gear, but grabs it rough.

If I roll, and give it enough gas, it shifts to 1st very smoothly. I couldn't find a situation where it ever shifts to 1st harshly. Actually after driving a while, even rolling, doesn't seem to hold 2nd as badly as it does when just driving after the truck has been sitting shut off for a good while. I'm really pleased with the performance. Mileage has been really good as well but I'll hold judgement until I get a bit more to be fair.

You should take the truck back to the dealer and site your problem. Perhaps they can reflash the trans and that would take care of it. Hard to say but hopefully it's something simple.

Good luck and have a good one.

Dear Mike,
Did you have to pay for this service since you did not go the dealer?? Our dealer here on the Big Island of Hawaii has a very poor track record and I really do not want to go them. So far the good mechanics I have inquired about here on Island are telling me Ford will not allow them to do the procedure outlined in TSB 08-24-04. I have contacted Ford on the mainland and received no decent response, just a boiler plate reply about how Ford honors their customers, blah blah and the service MUST be done at the dealer. If the cost is not too high, I do not mind paying out of pocket to a good mechanic rather than having it done incorrectly (or not at all, as has happened in the past when I took my vehicle to the dealer) by the dealer for free. My 2007 has 19,700 miles so it is still under warranty.
Thanks for your input, Cindy

Dear Mike,
Did you have to pay for this service since you did not go the dealer?? Our dealer here on the Big Island of Hawaii has a very poor track record and I really do not want to go them. So far the good mechanics I have inquired about here on Island are telling me Ford will not allow them to do the procedure outlined in TSB 08-24-04. I have contacted Ford on the mainland and received no decent response, just a boiler plate reply about how Ford honors their customers, blah blah and the service MUST be done at the dealer. If the cost is not too high, I do not mind paying out of pocket to a good mechanic rather than having it done incorrectly (or not at all, as has happened in the past when I took my vehicle to the dealer) by the dealer for free. My 2007 has 19,700 miles so it is still under warranty.
Thanks for your input, Cindy

No, I didn't pay. I went to one of the Ford Dealerships in the area. It was a warranty issue that the Ford dealerships are all to familar with. Go to another dealership if they refuse to do it. Honestly, they can't refuse as it's warranty. If you tell them you just want it done without having any transmission issues, then they won't do the flash. However if you have shifting problems, they can't deny warranty coverage in repairing and updating the transmission software.

I've had nothing but great support from Ford corporation and 2 out of the 3 dealerships. Never have I received such good service from Nissan (although I had a great dealership, a lousy company, poor vehicles), Chrysler (good vehicles, fair dealerships, good company) or GM ( lousy dealerships, lousy company, lousy vehicles). Sounds like you need to call Ford again and get to another dealership.

BTW, all my Nissan trucks were made with USA steel, stamped in the USA, drivetrain made in the USA, and assembled in the USA. Unfortunately my foreign, Mexican made "CHEVY" Camaro didn't help our country at all. I've wised up and now look to see where all my vehicles are completely made before assuming they're USA made vehicles.;)

Good luck and have a good one.

Bump stop transmission issue

Thank you Mike,
Unfortunately living on an Island has it's drawbacks, we have one Ford dealer. I am extremely frightened of the service department at the Ford Dealer and the mechanics on Island that I trust are in agreement with me. Our Ford Dealer was totally in the dark when I gave a copy of the TSB to them.
Thank you, Cindy

It seems like I am the hard shift from a rolling stop problem on my 2008 V6 XLT. Has anyone reported this for the V6? Any opinions on if the TSB fix will work on it?

Thanks!

I did my last update about a year and a half ago and until just recently the flash worked. I no longer have the bump stop, but I have noticed that the tranny feels like it is slipping taking off from a dead stop. I am going to take the Mountaineer in next week and have them flash TSB 08-24-04, and hopefully this will be the end all for my transmission shifting problem. Other than the trans shifting this has been an excellent vehicle.

I called a local dealer today and they seemed to know the issue I was calling about. I made an appt. for next Friday. Hopefully the update will take care of the issue. I don't have the bump stop problem but I have the lag downshift from a rolling stop.

It's In the Shop

Took the Mountaineer in this morning for an oil change and TSB 08-24-04.

Dealer called and said the Mountaineer is ready. We'll see how the tranny shifts now. Hopefully the 08-24-4 update will do the trick, I'll keep you posted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After one day I have to say that I am very happy with the new flash 08-24-4. The tip-in/hesitation is gone,and maybe because I was use to hesitation I am not sure, but it seems as though the Mountaineer now has more power from a dead stop. I will keep all posted how the flash holds up over time. I will say that the tranny has never shifted as well as it does now.

Back