2006 explorer radiator | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer radiator

For anyone that's replaced their rad....do you have to remove the fan? And if so, is there a special tool for it?

TIA!

I did not remove my fan, just the fan shroud. The fan really isnt in the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its only a problem to the v6 model.

Well actually my Radiator on my V8 apparently was leaking and was just replaced under my Ford Service Contract/ext warranty.

Well actually my Radiator on my V8 apparently was leaking and was just replaced under my Ford Service Contract/ext warranty.
Definitely uncommon for the V8 in my research. But just like everything on automobiles, there are some premature failures no matter how uncommon.

06 Explorer EB V8

45K miles. Need to replace radiator. At 40K miles I had to fix the exaust manifold. It was cracked. I noticed an esitation when I start from stop so I suspect tranny problems soon. 3rd Row electric seat Pass side is stuck. I have to help it rise. I don't use it very often. Maybe once a month (maybe).
This SUV was $10k cheaper than a good one. Now I know why.
Can't beleive this truck's MSRP is $52K!?
This is my 1st Ford. I like the look and the ride but I seriously doubt that I will ever by another after this one.

This SUV was $10k cheaper than a good one. Now I know why.
Can't beleive this truck's MSRP is $52K!?
So how much did you pay and how long ago did you buy it?

Well I started this messy topic just over 2 years ago and guess what I found on my driveway when we got home to day? Thats right a leak under the pass. side of the radiator. Just turned 60,000 miles. So @ 20,000 miles and just over 2 years, Fords allegedly new and improved radiator is leaking. Going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what I get for the run around.:fire: Also have been calling about shifter issue for the last 3 months but still no parts for that recall.

Well I started this messy topic just over 2 years ago and guess what I found on my driveway when we got home to day? Thats right a leak under the pass. side of the radiator. Just turned 60,000 miles. So @ 20,000 miles and just over 2 years, Fords allegedly new and improved radiator is leaking. Going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what I get for the run around.:fire: Also have been calling about shifter issue for the last 3 months but still no parts for that recall.

Unreal!!! I dont understand WTF is so hard in designing a radiator.
Everyone that has had this issue should file a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I only have 18K on my 06 and have not seen this but I know its coming.

Yep radiator is bad. lasted 2 yrs and 18000 miles. Service said $1000 for ford radiator or $800 for aftermarket. same radiator. asked why should i have to pay for bad ford parts, and of course no answer. used the ford will pay 80% and i pay 20% since the explorer has 60000 and this only good till 70000 and is one time, so remember this fellow explorer or ford owners. when i pick it up im going to talk to owner of dealer and tell him ive bought 2 and if it happens again ford is going to pay for it. they said this one is the new design, which is probaly the 4th version. ford is working on a new version now but dont know when it will be out. going to cross my fingers.:rolleyes:

Mine spilled its guts on the driveway, at 72k. The stupidest waste of 4hrs of my life ever. I've never fought what should be an easy job so much on any vehicle in my life. Whoever designed the radiator frame should be forced to replace these damn things every day of their lives. I've never even seen a radiator that took more than 30min. Once I finally got it pried out it was even harder to get the new one back in and everything back in place. I was just glad the new one didn't leak after getting it put in there.

As far as I can see it's just a horrible design. The radiator tank is just below the level of the bottom of the bumper. So, if a certain soccer mom should happen to pull up to a high curb too close it pushes everything up and against the bottom of the radiator. Even worse the air dam that creates low pressure behind the radiator is mounted to the tank, putting constant forces on the tank with every gust or passing truck, not to mention snow drifts or the occasional raccoon. 3 out of the 5 push pins that held mine on were pried almost all the way out.

Now, 2wks later I get to replace the water pump too. Last fall was the thermostat housing. I'm pretty sure the tranny is next since it takes longer than I would like to go from reverse to drive.

These problems should not exist at this low mileage on any vehicle.

Sooo glad to have inherited this vehicle with my gf... I'd love to get rid of it but did I mention how far upside down she is in it?

Guys, so what's the best place to get a replacement radiator - partstrain.com, radiatorbarn.com or radiator.com

Thanks

Guys, so what's the best place to get a replacement radiator - partstrain.com, radiatorbarn.com or radiator.com

Thanks

Got mine on ebay off of proradiators.com.

Was only $105, including shipping. Lifetime warranty.

So far, so good!

Have fun

tldt2003, did you put a lot of mileage on it?

A few thousand. I did tow a 10' trailer loaded back and forth from Long Island to Central PA, so it's seen its share of work and highway conditions.

Knocking on wood....... :cool:

tldt2003, thanks. Following your advice I ordered the same radiator. It better be good! Found removal instructions from a manual on the web, so will follow them.

2006 explorer

My 2006 Ford Explorer has been leaking since the day I purchased it 03/29/2008. The dealer finally found the leak & told me that it will take two weeks to get a radiator & that there are 2,400 radiators on back order. It looks like I am not the only one having this problem. I contatcted Ford at (800) 241-3673 to request a recall to have this problem fixed. The dealer wants $712 to fix the problem. I have never had a radiator go bad with only 42,000 miles on it when i puchased it. My Explorer now has 49,000 miles & they just found the leak today after being in the shop a couple of times. Anyone else with this issue should contact Ford at (800) 241-3673 so we can get this issue addressed.

i have a 2006 explorer xlt with 62,000 miles and i am on radiator #5- and i have contacted ford and the delaer numerous times and they tell me because it is no longer under warrenty they are not going to do anythign for me ... the first one was replaced by the dealer beacuse it was under warrenty (28,000 miles 10/2007)but it went again 3/2009 45,000 miles replaced at my cost - and then again 10/2009 dealer pd to have it replaced because the one in march was under warrenty - but it i just had to have it replaced again and the radiator was under warrenty but i had to pay for labor - every 6 mnths or so it is seeming that the radiator starts leaking - i can' keep paying for it any ideas .... ford insists its is all me they will do nothing - won't pay -- won't take the car back

any ideas .... ford insists its is all me they will do nothing - won't pay -- won't take the car back
You've had the car for at least 3 years from your service history on the radiator, they won't take it back? Go figure.

As far as getting the radiator replaced repeatedly, why would you continue going back to the same place over and over if the same problem comes back and they won't warranty it? Bring it elsewhere (basically anywhere at this point) which will give you a 12 month 12k mile warranty on that item so if it fails again they will eat at least the first replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

Got mine from Radiator.com, Visteon aftermarket, has a lifetime warranty.
More expensive than ebay but considering the warranty I didn't think $190 was to much.
They even delivered it to my work.
6 months and holding.

Don't forget the TSB 09-8-1 pcm reprogram.

Back