2006 explorer w/mustang bullits/tire clearence | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer w/mustang bullits/tire clearence

Thunderace

Reaction score
City, State
Mn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 2WD 4.6
So i picked up a set of 2003 mustang gt bullit rim's, 17x8, 30mm offset, 5.72" backspacing. Mounted 275/55-17 general hts tire's on. These tire's are the same height as stock (235/70-16) just wider. So what i ended up with is exactly 3/4" between front inside tire and upper control arm/ball joint, (stock was 1 1/4"). The tire/rim combo looks good but they seem to stick out on the rear. I know the stock backspacing is 6" so i"m out a 1/4" more, but the tires are wider (11" vs. 9")so they are actually in closer.(hope all that made sence). My other choice would be to use 2005+ 17x8 bullit rims witch have a backspacing of 6.295", that would be would be .575"(about 5/8") more, with the same tire's that would bring the upper control arm/ball joint tire clearence down to about 1/8". I'm thinking thats a little to close, any thoughts? jon04ctvs have your tire's rubbed yet? do you think your as close as 1/8 "? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have went with the 2009 painted GT WHEELS ON MY 2008. These are 18x9 with 255-60-18. Wheel on LF does rub at full turn on control arm. Have looked at using spacers but do not trust them. Other than that all else ok

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

255/60/18 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on 2009 Mustang GT Wheels (18x8.5). Don't have the offset or backspacing off hand but no clearance issues at all. The fronts are fine. The back gets close to a brake hose but doesn't touch.

Hi Jon04CTSV!

Can you tell me something about your bi-xenons? Are they 35 watts?
Is it a can-bus system? Any "check light" error messages?

Hi Jon04CTSV!

Can you tell me something about your bi-xenons? Are they 35 watts?
Is it a can-bus system? Any "check light" error messages?
They are 35W. I tried the error cancelers that people were selling but none of them work. We ended up wiring in some capacitors which got rid of the error messages.

And light is now much better? Was it worth the installation?

And light is now much better? Was it worth the installation?
Yes. We have 5 cars and they all have HID low beams and HID fog lights. It's brighter and I like the colour better.

Update on bullit rims

I picked up a set of 09' mustang bullit rims (05 thru 09 are the same) w/tpms, 17x8 45mm offset 6.295"backspacing, mounted 275/55-17, ended up with 1/4" between inside front tire and upper control arm. I'm staying with this set up. Going to sell the set of pre-2004 bullits which are 17x8 30mm offset 5.72 backspacing with or with out tpms sensors. Glad i found a set up i like to go with the lowering. Pictures wont be until spring, got the winter set up on now.

So you didn't have any problems programming the mustang TPM-Sensors for the Explorer?
Explorer TPMS are blue. And the Mustang sensors seem to be grey.

These are blue, and exact same part # on the back. I also have a set off a 08' Crown Vic. Police Intercepter and they are blue with matching #'s. I had a set of Mountaineer rims on before with the same sensor's, I do take a fairly large magnet and run across sensor's a couple time's before mounting. No re-programing, No light's.

Back