2006 no crank after one hour drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 no crank after one hour drive

ascholten

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 LTD
Explorer 2006 no start after hour drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum and hope to be able putting in answers to.
As for now i have a problem of my own.
I own a 2006 Explorer V8 with the LTD package.
Life in Netherlands (europe)
I have the following problem.
When i take the explorer for a drive longer then one our.
Get out of the car and try to start the car after 5 minutes.
The car does not start, does not crank.
Looks like the PATS has cut in.
I wait for 30 minutes and the car starts again.
I have tested the car wit an Ford IDS tester at the moment the problem occurs.
It throws the following codes:

P1260 - FF - PCM

Description - P1260

Theft detected, Vehicle Immobilized

B1342 - FF - PCM

Description - B1342

PATS malfunction

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try using a different key. I had an ebay knock off key for my '98 that would malfunction and not let the truck start on really hot days. Do you have a remote start?

Here is another idea that has nothing to do with PATS, but WTH.

Sounds like typical fuel pump failure, which Ford vehicles seem to be prone to. When you first turn the key on, can you hear the pump run for 5-10 seconds. Any fuel pressure on the fuel rail?

My previous gen would do it after driving 1 hour and shutting it off. then restart after 20 minutes or so. My 03 Mach 1 it just quit and would not start again after parking it.

Just to make shure we understand the problem,
The car will not crank at al, while turning te key.

Just to make shure we understand the problem,
The car will not crank at al, while turning te key.

Oops, sorry. Damn Evelyn Wood!

I was referring to a crank, no start!

As Emily Litella says, "Nevermind".

Oops. Sorry, I missed that also. No Crank, No Start. At least when my PATS was acting up it would allow the engine to crank.

At least here is a free bump for you.

Still no solution for my problem

I was wandering if there is someone who could help me with this strange problem.
I am still hitting a wall with my toughts.

Any one ????

Do any interior lights come on when you insert the key? i.e. odomoeter, radio, etc.

If you still have access to that IDS you may get away with something as simple as performing a Parameter Reset. It is like a handshake between the IC and the PCM to allow PATS to function correctly. Aside from that, any remote start? alarm? or other aftermarket electronics? Plus the key mentioned earlier. Knockoff key transponders are notorious for faults.

During the no crank situation, i have performed a network test and i get a fauly code for the IC, it is not able to establish a connetction with the IC.
After a waiting period of ± 45 minutes the car starts normaly and the DTC code are gone.
After a drive of ± 1 hour, the car fales to crank after shutting down the engine.
This story repeats itself everytime.
It seems there is a problem with the IC, wich turns on the PATS after a 1 hour drive.
The IC has been replaced 2 months ago, due to the TSB 06-10-7 "No start wirh instrument cluster inoperative"
I have also checked the " as-build-data" and this seems to be correct to.
I hope anyone can help me with this problem.

Hello,

The problem is still not solved, anyone with good ideas ??

Sincerely,

Arjan Scholten

sounds like something is being allowed to cool down after the period you indicated. If the accessories are ok, ie: horn, radio, lights etc., then try jumpering your ignition starter solenoid for a moment to see if it turns over (make sure it is in neutral if it's standard. If it does turn over then determine the solenoids coilconnection polarities and disconnect wires to prevent feedback and apply 12v to these terminals. If you hear the solenoid click and it does not turn over then the solenoid is likely toast. There are many other heat related possibilities that may cause high resistance contacts/connections or even component/relay problems.

At the time a have the problem, the car has been running for at least 45 minutes.
Coolant temperature is at about 93 degrees celcius.
DTC U2510 comes on as wel as the B1342 code.
These code are gone after a 10 minutes waiting periode.
The car starts again and the problem is gone.
So what triggers this problem is a drive of 45 minutes.
Could it be that the PCM is overheating or something like that ??

Hope i can tackle this problem soon.

Sincerely,
Arjan Scholten

Back