• Register Today It's free!

2007 4.0L Radiator issue

grfo

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
I dropped my XLT off Saturday to get a new water pump and decided to replace the radiator as well. Weds night I call them and after supposedly trying 5 different radiators they are installing my old one back into the car.

This sounds completely nuts to me. National chain btw.
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They can't get the cooler fittings off I bet and are trying to thread them into the aftermarket radiator.

Early build and late build 07 has 2 different rads, on the sport trac at least. The quick connect early build can be a real pain to get apart, even with the tool. I found the easiest way was with a couple real small flat screw drivers to pry back the lock.

No comment on the rad grfo but would you please tell me how many miles you got out of your water pump before it started leaking and when it did start did you notice the water coming from the weep hole? Thx AJ

Mine wasn't leaking but the bearing was going in the front of it. I got 200k kms out of mine. Also when I took it off, the paddles on the impeller were in pretty rough shape.

No comment on the rad grfo but would you please tell me how many miles you got out of your water pump before it started leaking and when it did start did you notice the water coming from the weep hole? Thx AJ

126k miles - the bearing started going out, made an awful squeal :)
New car to me, 4th owner. Making my way thru everything - pretty obvious that the coolant had never been changed out - radiator was muddy.

Back