2010 Mountaineer Replacement Radio Head Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Mountaineer Replacement Radio Head Unit

rowekmr

Reaction score
City, State
Chgo, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Limited 4.6 4X4
Hello

i just picked up a 08 Mountaineer AWD. It’s missing radio head unit (recovered steal). Is there a website that I can find the part# of the head unit. It’s loaded incl DVD so I assume it had Navi unit but maybe it’s possible that it had the 6 CD indash radio non Navi unit.

Looking online at salvage yards they have different part numbers for same head unit. Will only that specific part# work or can other part #’s for same head unit work?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about 2010, but I swapped radios between my 06 and 07 back and forth. One was the simple radio/CD, the other was 6 CD with Nav, and they work in both. The harness is the same between the 2 as well.

From what I know, unlike GM, you can just plug Ford radio in and the head unit will work, no security or programming required.

Wow that’s good news! Did the Nav work in the other vehicle or did you have to install antennae?

Get a aftermarket head unit with touchscreen and it’ll be a huge upgrade

Will it integrate with steering wheel controls and factory DVD playback?

My Explorer didn't have steering wheel controls but I replaced the head unit and love the fact that I have a touch screen and hands free bluetooth for my phone. I also replaced the head unit in our 2008 Taurus and it had steering wheel controls. They sell an interface unit called a Maestro that you wire into the radio to retain your steering wheel controls. Before you install it, you hook it to your home computer and initialize it based on your vehicle and steering wheel controls. As a bonus, you can double the actions of your current controls by specifying a hold action. There is plenty of room to tuck the unit behind the radio.

ford did have a VIN lookup tool that made a window sticker and that would list what options it had from the dealer

When I put the OEM nav unit from my 06 in 07, I had to buy an external GPS antenna for few bucks on ebay.
Then on my 06 i installed this cheap unit from amazon, and I programmed the steering wheel controls to work with it.

Aftermarket GPS Radio installation

Back