2010 XLT - Airbag Light, No Steering Wheel Controls, Horn still works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 XLT - Airbag Light, No Steering Wheel Controls, Horn still works

splitphaze

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have found several posts discussing these types of issues, but I don't think I've found this particular combination of symptoms:

(1) the cruise (left side) switches don't work;

(2) the media/voice (right side) switches don't work;

(3) the airbag light is on (solid, no blinking);

(4) no error codes on my Innova reader for OBDII or ABS (?);

(5) the horn still works...

Anybody have advice? It would be great to hear that this is simply a connector somewhere under the dash rather than the clock spring (my prime suspect).

I would replace the clock spring myself, but I don't want to buy the part unless I am more certain that it is the right fix.

If the consensus is that the clock spring is broken, what should I expect to pay a dealership (ballpark) and is it worth trying to do it myself.

Thanks!

There should be a code for the airbag light. ABS is for the anti lock braking system. what innova scanner do you have?

Thanks for responding. I was wrong, my scanner is a CenTech 60794 from Harbor Freight, not Innova...

An update: During the past month, when I would turn the steering wheel, the switch backlights would flicker. And, finally, they have cut out all together, along with the horn.

If I do end up having to replace clock spring (or disassemble/reassemble), is there a thread (or video) with a good walk through?

Thanks.

Back