2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The steering in 2013 Explorer Sport whilst turning right under a lot of load. It could have been fatal (when the steering fails it is heavy beyond belief).

Ford covered the replacement of the steering rack as it was a 100 miles inside the warranty.

Since replacement of the rack the steering occasionally (maybe 1 in 100 times) does not find centre after turning right (i.e. lack of steering returnability). The fault is intermittent so the dealership can't diagnose it. Any ideas anyone ? I find it a little unsettling.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my hypothesis on the steering recall.

I think the steering racks were failing while people were driving causing the power steering to go out while driving. I think for the recall they changed the software to 1) better detect a failure was about to occur setting a DTC and 2) more gracefully shut down the about to fail power steering during a more safe situation such as after a restart.

Then they extended the warranty because they knew the rack was going to fail and need replacement. The new software would help prevent a dangerous situation.

Either way, it was a free repair for me which I was quite happy about. Ford recognized they had a serious problem and put in a reasonable correction.

Same issue again. The car is back at the dealership as I wait for the prognosis.

Chris

MTN, that must have been unsettling to have this happen with your Explorer, and I’m sorry to hear you’re still waiting for the part. I’d like to have your issue reviewed by escalating your concern. Would you mind sending a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name?

Cory

I am having this problem with my 2014 Limited (42,000 miles) and my dealership just wants to swap out the entire rack and pinion to the tune of $1,400+. I can't help but think if the 2011-2013 were recalled for the same thing, maybe the 2014 could have the same or similar issue. Please help if you can. I will PM my VIN. Thanks!

Just found out from the NHTSA that Ford has issued 15N01 as of 1 JULY 2015 covering this exact issue for these Explorers!!!! See the link below to the NHTSA document. Per the doc...

"This safety recall involves reprogramming the Power Steering Control Model (PSCM), or replacing teh steering gear if certain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present. if the steering gear is not replaced, the owner will be provided extended coverage of the steering gear under program code 15N01... for up to 10 years of service, or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle. "

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM481732/RCMN-14V286-6751.pdf

Any idea if this recall has been expanded to include any 2014 vehicles?

LIFE saver thread for sure!

I started looking at updating from my 2003 Explorer today.
Part of that was to check this site.
WOW what an eye opener this tread is!
OMG
I almost stepped in it by buying 2011 - 2014. Thank you all for your problem posts, comments and concerns. Sure hope no one dies because of the steering issue.

PS I've owned a 95 Eddie Bower
and an 03 and have worked on my son's 97 and 95.
BY FAR the most reliable one has been that V6 95 Eddie Bower.
What a bullet proof design that was. Had it 10yrs. :exp:
Can anyone speak highly of the 2015 - 2016 ??

Same issue again. The car is back at the dealership as I wait for the prognosis.

Chris
Let’s get this documented for you, RSNovi. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

I am having this problem with my 2014 Limited (42,000 miles) and my dealership just wants to swap out the entire rack and pinion to the tune of $1,400+. I can't help but think if the 2011-2013 were recalled for the same thing, maybe the 2014 could have the same or similar issue. Please help if you can. I will PM my VIN. Thanks!
Thanks for the PM, charliepapa! Will you please also send your full name, dealership, and best daytime number as well?

Deysha

Any idea if this recall has been expanded to include any 2014 vehicles?

Im still waiting for the recall to get extended to the rest of the 2013 vehicles. They cut off vehicles that were manufactured after feb 2012, which excludes almost every 2013 explorer and beyond right? Whats the point of even mentioning 2013 explorers in the recall if they don't intend to fix? I guess they are just waiting for the warranties to expire.

Hello all. This is my first post. I just traded in my 2004 Expedition for a 2014 Explorer Limited. 3 days after buying it, i was out of state at my sons baseball tournament, when the advance trac warning came up and lost power steering. The truck has 50,000 miles. Ford has denied any responsibility in this issue. After reading through this forum, i believe I am having the same issues as many others. My "new" vehicle is now sitting helplessly at a dealer one hour from where i live. Has the 2014 models been added to a recall. The ford dealer i had it to have it towed to(at my expense to the tune of $170), says it isn't there responsibility to fix it under a recall, and of course the dealer is trying to work something out. Very frustrating to say the least.

Bwomack - you bought it from a dealer? Many states have at least some minimal (like 30 days) warranty for used vehicles purchased from a dealer. Go that route and let the dealer who sold it to you go after Ford.

Hello all. This is my first post. I just traded in my 2004 Expedition for a 2014 Explorer Limited. 3 days after buying it, i was out of state at my sons baseball tournament, when the advance trac warning came up and lost power steering. The truck has 50,000 miles. Ford has denied any responsibility in this issue. After reading through this forum, i believe I am having the same issues as many others. My "new" vehicle is now sitting helplessly at a dealer one hour from where i live. Has the 2014 models been added to a recall. The ford dealer i had it to have it towed to(at my expense to the tune of $170), says it isn't there responsibility to fix it under a recall, and of course the dealer is trying to work something out. Very frustrating to say the least.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
See post 1073. Send PM to FordService. They may be able to help.

Peter

Hopefully its at a Ford dealer. I took mine to the Ford dealer and the service manager supposedly contacted Ford and was told that since I did not buy the vehicle new there was nothing they could do. He told me this and I wasn't very happy since I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Since I didn't want to let my wife drive the car this way, not knowing if or when the steering would fail, I took the car to a non-dealer shop where I usually take my cars and have a relationship with the owner. I was contacted by Ford yesterday and it sounded as though they were going to help me have the car repaired, but through the dealership. When I explained the car had been repaired, but at an independent shop, the case was closed. I think this is very poor customer relations. I mean, the Service Manager had already told me Ford denied him any way to help me. The car was unsafe and had to be repaired and I didn't want to deal with the dealer since Ford had denied any claim. I wonder how many accidents there have been from these failed steering racks and whether or not there is already some sort of class-action suit.

In general they're pretty reliable compared to older Exploders except for the few threads that drag on hundreds of pages with no real help that no one reads thru unless they have no life and they sound like a huge sob session. I think they should be erased and only helpful info remain. Then there should be another section for people that just want to add their two cents they are having the same issue, maybe call it "Need a Shoulder To Lean on", I'll make sure I wont click those to read :D.
I've noticed the owners of 2011 up Exploders like to nit pick over silly issues compared to other generations of these vehicles also, its been brought up before :dunno:.
Just make sure the power steering, water leaks , cracked seat backs etc etc have been fixed before :).

That 95 V6 Explorer mentioned you totally lucked out on, its probably one of the most problematic engine/transmission and suspension combos Ford made, maybe except for the 3.8 front drive vehicles.

I started looking at updating from my 2003 Explorer today.
Part of that was to check this site.
WOW what an eye opener this tread is!
OMG
I almost stepped in it by buying 2011 - 2014. Thank you all for your problem posts, comments and concerns. Sure hope no one dies because of the steering issue.

PS I've owned a 95 Eddie Bower
and an 03 and have worked on my son's 97 and 95.
BY FAR the most reliable one has been that V6 95 Eddie Bower.
What a bullet proof design that was. Had it 10yrs. :exp:
Can anyone speak highly of the 2015 - 2016 ??

In general they're pretty reliable compared to older Exploders

Wow, not even close. What a joke "pretty reliable". Yah if you want to die trying to steer the thing suddenly without notice !

except for the few threads that drag on hundreds of pages with no real help that no one reads thru unless they have no life and they sound like a huge sob session. I think they should be erased and only helpful info remain.

Thank GOD for these "drag on" threads! OMG I would have stepped in a big
pile of steaming crap had I not stumbled onto and read EVERY SINGLE POST in it. So glad to have a life still by reading them all. All confirm via many different users that the "pretty reliable" newer explorers are ANYTHING but when it comes to steering !

Then there should be another section for people that just want to add their two cents they are having the same issue, maybe call it "Need a Shoulder To Lean on", I'll make sure I wont click those to read :D.

Yah, I'd be one of them had I bought one of these amazing "pretty reliable" ones.

I've noticed the owners of 2011 up Exploders like to nit pick over silly issues compared to other generations of these vehicles also, its been brought up before :dunno:.

"dunno" is the operative word.
How dare these users nitpick over such trivial things such as being able to STEER!

Just make sure the power steering, water leaks , cracked seat backs etc etc have been fixed before :).

Yah, because we all know design flaws have a way of healing themselves.

That 95 V6 Explorer mentioned you totally lucked out on, its probably one of the most problematic engine/transmission and suspension combos Ford made, maybe except for the 3.8 front drive vehicles.

Sure that's one way of looking at it. Another is to actually visit the threads on the V6 and drive train and see the failures are wear related NOT design and they don't suddenly leave you high and dry in a dangerous situation.

Thanks for the reply. Such as it was.

Suspension issues aside, we won't go there, it is an older style truck suspension, but the 95-96 had OHV engines and the 4spd transmission which is not perfect but much less prone to problems than the 97+ 5spd. There are some very rare cases of head cracks and some intake gasket issues but it is generally a job an experienced DIYer could do on a weekend, and you would have lots of warning. The V8 ones speak for themselves.

I know a used car dealer and saw many reach over 200K on that stock powertrain. He still sells 95-96 V6 and has no problems with them. I own one too and aside from rust it is an extremely reliable car.

The 97+ 5spd/OHC V6 combo is a whole can of worms, and I agree with you. I'm sure there are high mileage examples but they have some very serious flaws.

I would definitely buy a new ex if I knew it was as reliable and easy to service as my 96. The only way you can lose steering on a 96 is a tube rust thru, and it usually gives warning.

I would sell mine in that case and try another forum not related to Explorers, that would avoid the nit picking not related to steering failures which Ford is looking at before they happen due to the recall.
You don't lose steering you just lose assist at low speeds, similar failures have happened when a vehicle runs out of fuel.
The early V6s were always heaps, but if someone wants to go out and buy one, its their choice, when a ball joint fails or a tire explodes I guess people that are like minded would rather roll over due to no stability control. I sure wouldn't. I would agree the 5.0 V8s are one of the most reliable ones made to date though.
Like I said there needs to be another section for people that have a similar issues and just like to chat and not contributing to a repair or further info. Maybe something labeled "my steering sucks does yours" etc.

I would sell mine in that case and try another forum not related to Explorers,

Why would I sell? My son's 95 (V6) was fantastic (until he put in into a guard rail) and his 97 V8 seems to be bullet proof even when he ran it down to 1.5qts of oil left.

that would avoid the nit picking not related to steering failures which Ford is looking at before they happen due to the recall.

Why would me selling reduce the others posting so called nitpicking?
Yah, sure hope Ford will "look at" these failures better than GM looked into ignitions switches.

You don't lose steering you just lose assist at low speeds, similar failures have happened when a vehicle runs out of fuel.

Not sure if anyone has even suggested "lose steering". I sure haven't. But then I suppose some 100lb woman could make the argument that loss of power assist is the same as lost steering. However, comparing lost power assist due to running out of fuel is a non sequitor. Failures external to steering that affect steering in virtually all cars do not get taken to court. In this current instantiation it could well go there.

The early V6s were always heaps, but if someone wants to go out and buy one, its their choice, when a ball joint fails or a tire explodes

Wow that means not only did I get lucky (153k mi before giving it to the son) but my friends 94 V6 with 224k is lucky too. My 95 didn't even burn oil.

I guess people that are like minded would rather roll over due to no stability control. I sure wouldn't.

Lost me. What does stability control have to do with steering and/or reliability? Oh wait. You're bringing up advantages to newer explorers. I see.

I would agree the 5.0 V8s are one of the most reliable ones made to date though.

Sure

Like I said there needs to be another section for people that have a similar issues and just like to chat and not contributing to a repair or further info. Maybe something labeled "my steering sucks does yours" etc.

How about a forum dedicated to "nitpicking" about others nitpicking and other such non value added posts?

My original request was to ask does anyone want to recommend a specific MY that is exemplary in reliability? (post 2009 Explorer only)
I am NOT giving up on the Explorer per se.
It is the "just the right size" for me and has always looked better that it's competition.

My original request was to ask does anyone want to recommend a specific MY that is exemplary in reliability? (post 2009 Explorer only)
I am NOT giving up on the Explorer per se.
It is the "just the right size" for me and has always looked better that it's competition.
Your question re seeking a recommendation on a post 2009 MY Explorer should be posted in the 'Discussion' thread since it really has nothing to do with this thread topic. Thanks.

Peter

Your question re seeking a recommendation on a post 2009 MY Explorer should be posted in the 'Discussion' thread since it really has nothing to do with this thread topic. Thanks.

Peter

Ok then. Let's change my original request to...............
Can anyone recommend a post 2009 Explorer that does not have the steering issue so prominent in this tread? This thread is titled "2011 - 2014" but I'd take any MY suggestion.

Ok then. Let's change my original request to...............
Can anyone recommend a post 2009 Explorer that does not have the steering issue so prominent in this tread? This thread is titled "2011 - 2014" but I'd take any MY suggestion.

It seems to me like the recall that fixes the issue or at least replaces the problematic part, covers the 2009 through 2012 or 2013. Maybe someone with Ford can chime in with a VIN or manufacture date range for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to me like the recall that fixes the issue or at least replaces the problematic part, covers the 2009 through 2012 or 2013. Maybe someone with Ford can chime in with a VIN or manufacture date range for you.

Date range is in the recall notice.

Back