• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer oil problem

Charles Hill

Reaction score
City, State
BROOKLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer xlt
Thanks for any help first of all. My explorer started messing up about 3 weeks ago. My wife got in it in the car that morning heard a pip and oil was shooting every Where from the oil filter seal. I replaced the oil filter changed oil. Replaced the oil filter housing that the oil filter fits on. If it's really cold outside in morning it will blow the seal of the oil filter again and again
If it's warmer say above 30 or so. It doesn't do it. It will work good for 2 to 3 days and then get up in morning and start it and it does it again. I have spoke to ford mechanics and other people never heard of it. Don't know why it's doing it. Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Charles.:wave:
Your issue is a first for this Forum. When the oil comes out have you checked to see if the filter itself is still tight or is the seal completely gone? I would think that is is likely caused by excessive pressure from somewhere. I think this is something the Ford techs or a Ford engineer has to check out.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Charles.:wave:
Your issue is a first for this Forum. When the oil comes out have you checked to see if the filter itself is still tight or is the seal completely gone? I would think that is is likely caused by excessive pressure from somewhere. I think this is something the Ford techs or a Ford engineer has to check out.

Peter
The seal is just pushed out enough that the oil is squirting out of that spot but I can take the oil filter off and push the seal back in the filter and tighten it up and it will fire up no problem bit let it set over night and start it in the morning and it will do it again. I've actually spoke with 2 ford mechanics and they never hard of that and didn't have a clue

. I've actually spoke with 2 ford mechanics and they never hard of that and didn't have a clue
Thanks. Just because they haven't got a clue is no reason not to investigate the problem. That is why I mentioned getting a Ford engineer involved. That is what the techs should be doing rather than just throwing up their hands.

Peter

Thanks. I feel that way to about it they told me I could let them check it out but it was $100 an hour. Needless to say I wasn't very confident in there ability at the time. Besides the oil pressure sensor and oil pump I don't know of anything else it might be but I'm no mechanic

Peter is correct, Assuming the filter is torqued correctly there is excessive pressure from somewhere. You say you changed the filter and the oil. Assuming it's the correct filter, oil and filter torqued correctly then for what ever reason the system is getting over pressurized. The fact that this happen only when temps are below 30 deg exacerbates the problem. It's leaking around the filter gasket because this is the weakest point in the lubrication system. Two possible causes: 1. Oil Pressure relief valve is bad, relative easy fix usually part of the oil pump. 2. A blocked oil passage somewhere internally, very expensive to fix.

I'm an OK shade tree mechanic so take my opinion for what it's worth. At least thats my evaluation, though others with more expertise may have further ideas.

Does your Explorer have an oil pressure gauge, if so is it reading higher than what you have seen in the past?

Normal motor craft filters?

Thanks for your take on my problem. It does not have an acutely oil pressure gauge it's all digital and only pops up when there's a problem . So when it does blow the oil filter seal. It does pop up and say warning oil pressure. But again it's not an every time problem. I have actually pushed the car back out of the oil spill took the filter off and fixed the seal pit it back on and refill the oil and it will run great and of course the oil pressure warning doesn't come on then. I really appreciate everyone helping me out any advice to me is good. Thanks again

What oil are you using?

Yes I have bought every filter from the cheapest to the most expensive even went to ford and bought one straight from them just to make sure

The brand of filter isn't relevant, only that it the correct equivalent filter. This is a problem that will not go away and only get worse. The damage is most likely done. Still get it check by a reputable shop, just be prepared for an expensive repair bill. Regardless do not keep driving it as it is.

As for the oil, 5w20 it sounds close enough if that whats you're using. Oil isn't the problem unless you somehow have been running something above a 50W.

I havent it's been parked for a week now. And where I live it has warned up alot it had been in the high 30s this past week it has been close to 60 everyday and I have started it everyday just to see. Not once has it messed up. It's crazy. O yeah. I'm dreading the bill once I get it to a shop and they get it fixed

My Sport just had the oil filter adapter replaced because the gasket was leaking. My symptoms were not as you describe though. The oil filter itself seemed fine on my car. Actually, its not clear to me what the oil filter adapter is, but that's what they called it.

Yeah I friend suggested i replace mine. So I did . Didn't help mine

I didn't see anything in the service manual that covered a situation like this. There isn't even an over-pressure issue listed...just a min of 30PSI @1500 RPM at normal operating temp.

I did find this though. Note the relief valve operation....

Oil Pump
The lubrication system is designed to provide optimum oil flow to critical components of the engine through its entire operating range.

The heart of the system is a positive displacement internal gear oil pump.

Generically, this design is known as a gerotor pump, which operates as follows:

• The oil pump is mounted on the front face of the cylinder block.
  • The inner rotor is piloted on the crankshaft post and is driven through flats on the crankshaft.
  • System pressure is limited by an integral, internally-vented relief valve which directs the bypassed oil back to the inlet side of the oil pump.
  • Oil pump displacement has been selected to provide adequate volume to make sure of correct oil pressure both at hot idle and maximum speed.
  • The relief valve calibration protects the system from excessive pressure during high-viscosity conditions.
  • The relief valve is designed to provide adequate connecting rod bearing lubrication under high temperature and high-speed conditions.

Thanks. So if I'm reading that right. The oil release is part of the oil pump. Not a separate part

Thanks. So if I'm reading that right. The oil release is part of the oil pump. Not a separate part
Correct, there maybe an exception or two out there, but yes. The situation you have is not very common, hence so little information. I doubt the relief valve is the issue. As stated it's there to prevent overpressure with low oil temps. Temps in the 30's are not very cold in relation to modern motor oil. Also for a filter gasket to leak you would need a lot more pressure the what cold oil alone would cause. As an FYI an oil pump is pretty cheap and straight forward to replace, however the shop labor will be pretty high.

This leaves an oil blockage of some sort. IE - a physical blockage of an oil port(s), tight bearing clearances, etc. Think of it like a garden hose with running water, Water runs freely with just an open ended hose, put your thumb over the end and hose pressure increases. The water will follow the path of least resistance, you oil system is the same. When it leaks around the filter that is the path of least resistance. In your case once the oil is warm the leak stops, the over pressure is still there however its been reduced to the point where the gasket doesn't leak. Again just because the filter isn't leaking does not mean the overpressure is gone.

As I stated before I'm not an expert, but I do understand the basics. I'm giving you pretty basic information which my not apply to your specific case. Bottom line, have it checked by a true professional. A professional or even if you have a friend that like to wrench cars can attach an external oil pressure tester and see what the pressure really is, most auto parts stores (Autozone, Advance, etc) rent them or even have loners for free. Good Luck!

BTW - You never stated the mileage?

On a side note, if/when you find out the real cause please post here and let us know what the issue was. I for one would be very interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back