• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer. Tow package.

mjonas

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean Shores, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
This may be a dumb question but I have an installed tow bar reciever installed on my 2011 Explorer. It is located behind the bumper cover. How do I open the bumper cover? I really dont want to damage the bumber by ripping it open. Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This may be a dumb question but I have an installed tow bar reciever installed on my 2011 Explorer. It is located behind the bumper cover. How do I open the bumper cover? I really dont want to damage the bumber by ripping it open. Mark

There are 2 thumb screw/buttons on the bottom of the bumper. They turn 1/4 turn and spring downward. You then just have to pull the cover off. There are 4 plastic tabs along the entire top of the cover. It will feel like you're going to break it, but they will pull out, and I don't see any way they'll break with just a normal tug.

Thanks JustB. Is the cover easy to put back on?

Thanks JustB. Is the cover easy to put back on?

Yup, you just put the tabs back into their slots, and then align the thumb screws with their holes on the bottom, push them up and turn them back the 1/4 turn.

Back