2011 Explorer XLT 24,000 miles safe for MD to Cali roadtrip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer XLT 24,000 miles safe for MD to Cali roadtrip?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hello everyone, so I am planning a road trip from MD to California and back in my 2011 Ford Explorer. I was wondering what I should do to prepare myself for this really long road trip. If I do this trip, I will be adding around 10,000 miles to my odometer round trip. I am not sure if I should take extra precaution or bring extra equipment with me just in case of any emergency. Any tips? I already have a plan to change my oil right before I leave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends really what route you take. But with any road trip, long or short, do all the necessary preps.

Aside from changing oil, do the regular maintenance checks either yourself or at the local shop. Aside from oil, check ALL fluids. Check the battery, alternator, and anything electrical. Make sure things are solidly connected and not worn. It would also be good to buy a fuse kit at a local store that has all fuse sizes in case you blow one on the road. Jumper cables are a plus. Check all the belts, tires, and suspension.

Bring some extra oil, coolant, and any other fluid that you think you might run low on. Bring a tow strap if possible, jack stands (to use in conjunction with your standard jack), gloves, a big towel, and a flashlight. If you got glowsticks, those would come in handy too.

Aside from the above, your emergency roadside kit stuff should include some first aid (hand sanitizer, bandaids, ointment, headache meds, antiseptic, cold/flu meds, and a couple of rolls of toilet paper). You will also want to pack extra things like a big case of bottled water and perhaps a few boxes of granola bars and beef jerky. Now this is not meant to be roadtrip snacks or anything; these are emergency rations. I hear people getting stranded in traffic, sitting there almost an entire day without any food and water--only to end up having to abandon their car (this happens a lot in snowy areas). But please don't do what my idiot friend did and buy a bunch of canned goods to throw in the back--and of course, had no can opener LOL. Also bring a blanket just in case you get stranded somewhere.

Bring maps just in case. Bring cords and adapters for all your electricals: cell phone, computer, GPS, etc. Charge them while you drive, but don't forget to unplug everything when you turn off your truck (all the connections remain live/hot).

Lastly, always keep someone informed at various intervals of your trip. Let em know when you leave, what your next stop is, what route you're taking, and when you anticipate getting there. Do this for each or every other stop.

Good luck!

Get AAA that is all and change oil ....!

Haha awesome. Thanks for the tips shadow and newportnj. Another question I have is that I have had nails puncture my 2 of my tires in several spots before but I patched them up. They haven't leaked in weeks. Would it be okay to go with patched up tires or should I go safer and replace them?

Patched tires are fine. Carry the spare tire just in case. I'd also bring a 12 volt compressor incase you get a slow leak or need to air down.
Having gone on lots of road trips (and sleeping in the truck) I'd suggest se kind of protection. I keep a small mag light and knife. And now I'm keeping a pistol as well. Of course don't go buy a gun unless you know how to use it confidently/safely. If you're not as violent as me, pepper spray might be better for you. But having an out of state tag seems to attract attention. From police (drive slow!!) to criminals.

Don't forget about tolls. I like carrying $1 coins. Easy to keep in the console and hand off to the attendant.

Also I'd suggest a jumper box instead of jumper cables. Cables are fine when there's people around but does ya no good if you're in the middle of nowhere.

I'd get the oil changed about a week before I was planning to leave. That'll give you time to make sure the oil change didn't cause a problem. And, get the oil changed at a Ford Dealer.

If you've had the patched tires patched a while ago and they haven't given you any problems, then they should be good to go. Patched tires, should be what I would consider, "repaired" tires that are good enough to use. That is why tire shops (honest ones at least) will make good-faith attempts to repair your punctured tire, before suggesting/advising you to buy a new one--that is of course, if it's repairable. The thing to consider at this point is the tread. If your tires are bald or badly worn, get new ones. As colintrax suggested, carry the spare. If you can afford a full-size spare that would even be better.

Colintrax also mentioned a good thing about the spare change, compressor, jump box. I totally forgot about the possibility of toll roads/bridges along the way! Compressor is definitely handy (forgot to mention that), and a jumper box is strongly suggested provided you're comfortable with using one. Some folks get a little nerve-racked dealing with anything electrical. If I had a dime for everytime a stranger asked me if I had jumper cables, then asked me to jump their car for them because they don't know how to use 'em. Most jumper boxes aren't complicated, easy to use, and yes as Colintrax said, are most important in the middle of nowhere.

As for the firearm, I'm 50/50 on this. Bring one if you're licensed, experienced, and educated. "Licensed" is self-explanatory. "Experienced" if you know how to effectively access it, handle it, use it, and maintain it. And most importantly, "educated" on the laws/regulations governing the use, storage, and transport of firearms in a vehicle, keeping them locked/loaded in the car while you sleep, or keeping them close by while you sleep in a hostel/motel room. Otherwise, it's always best to use common sense and never stop/rest/sleep in the middle of nowhere.

Oh I forgot, if you got a buddy to accompany you, that would be great.

PS hitch-hikers don't count haha

And now I'm keeping a pistol as well. Of course don't go buy a gun unless you know how to use it confidently/safely.
Really bad advice, especially considering the OP posted both Maryland and California in the title. Casually carrying a handgun in either of these states will get you ARRESTED. Even carrying per the FOPA law is very questionable in many parts of the country when you stop and stay. Recommend unless you are familiar with gun laws, and plan travel based on that, you leave weapons at home.

Really bad advice, especially considering the OP posted both Maryland and California in the title. Casually carrying a handgun in either of these states will get you ARRESTED. Even carrying per the FOPA law is very questionable in many parts of the country when you stop and stay. Recommend unless you are familiar with gun laws, and plan travel based on that, you leave weapons at home.

Huh I didn't know. Just bought the gun a few weeks ago and I know I can carry it here in Georgia. Regardless I'd suggest the OP have something. Doesn't have to be a gun, pepper spray is better than nothing. I'm just talking from experiance. You should have something if you're driving around with an out of state plate. An accent probably doesn't help either.

Yeah, in MD and California, they are really anti-gun states. If I could I would love to exercise my 2nd Amendment Right so that I may defend myself in an emergency. Thanks for the tip anyway from the person who suggested I bring a pistol. I never know who I might encounter, I'll just bring pepper spray, I didn't think about that until it was mentioned.

One last question, what happens if my car decides to break down during the trip? I have to complete the trip within an allotted time because it's for a very important event so I am not sure how I would deal with my car breaking down at all. Would I have it towed to the nearest dealer and just leave it there? Or should I just wait for my car to be repaired before I set off? If I do take the option of abandoning my car, is there anyway for me to get it back without returning to that dealer specifically?

Also, for people who are familiar with California, specifically in the Los Angeles area, is it really difficult to park anywhere? Should I worry about paying for parking? Thank you guys so much. From all this information, I got so many things on my list I didn't think about before.

EDIT: Also, I just thought about the fact that I still might have Ford Roadside Assistance. I am not sure since my warranty is up but I had bought the vehicle at the beginning of 2011 and my mileage is 24K miles. Anyone know how I can check if I still have Ford Roadside Assistance? If I still do, does anyone know if it would be similar to how AAA's service for those of you who ever used it. Thank you so much for the help everyone!

Check your insurance provider, as mine includes roadside assistance. So I have roadside from Ford and from State Farm. Due to your travels, especially across the desert, bring water. We are having crazy monsoon weather.

Safe travels!

Great advice. For a trip like that I'd also buy some audio books to listen to. Tunes, of course. Was a cooler for food/drinks mentioned?

Ford roadside is good for 5 years/limited, but I think they only take you to a dealer. For a trip like this I'd have AAA.

Regarding carrying on your trip, I.d rather be judged by a jury of twelve than carried by a group of six.

Back