2011 Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer.

This is nothing more than an Politically Correct SUV. A sad day is coming where no car company is going to build what real people want but what the government wants. I am going to hold on to my 2000 explorer, maybe it will become a vintage vehicle at only 10 years old......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the contrary, I think letting the public dictate vehicle design made us worse - an example is the H2 and large SUVs. These vehicles gained popularity because people kept buying them. This drove down the average MPGs nationwide and left us with the spikes in gas prices. This is a reflection of how we as a society have a tendency to overconsume whenever we are left free to roam.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is nothing more than an Politically Correct SUV. A sad day is coming where no car company is going to build what real people want but what the government wants. I am going to hold on to my 2000 explorer, maybe it will become a vintage vehicle at only 10 years old......

Could not have said it better myself. :salute:

It sounds like it may have a great drivetrain, I just can't get over the fact that it is now a car-based eco-mobile. To put this into perspective though, hasn't the grand cherokee been unibody for quite a while??? I'm not a fan, but I have seen a ton of them when I go 4 wheeling. Perhaps if Ford puts in enough clearance and makes the suspension robust (well, as much as full independent can be...) enough, then it might still be a good SUV. Personally, I think the true 4 wheeling Ex died in 2002 when they full independent. They gained alot in comfort and handling most likely when they did that, but I could never see it as the versatile 4 wheeler that it had once been.

On the other token, I do love the new superduty and the Raptor. :thumbsup:

Spent some time thinking about this. It looks like a Freestyle and an Explorer got together and had an ugly child that no one will want.

Let's think about this for a minute, and let's be honest with ourselves: what percentage of explorer owners would actually use the "truck" functions of an Explorer? Like heavy towing (greater than 5k lbs) and off-road use. Probably less than maybe 25 percent right? Chances are, we are using our Explorer with only one person in it to go pick up some bread from the grocery store. This is similar to those people here in the DC area who drive their Porche 996s and 997s to work only to sit in traffic for over an hour and then back into the garage it goes at the end of the day. Part of the problem is SUVs became popular and unfortunately, they were never gas efficient to begin with so while one SUV may not seem to pollute much, a million of them probably would. If it was only you and maybe a dozen other residents in the town that had an SUV, then there probably wouldn't be as big of a push to rethink SUV design because the impact just isn't that great. So its inevitable that a revolution in SUV design is coming because the status quo is unsustainable.
Posted via Mobile Device

here's my $0.02
most dont use their explorer as a "truck" very often
and I fit in that group most of the time.

But Im glad I can get some 2x4's or plywood at the hardware store on those rare times.
If I had to rent a trailer or pull something Im glad I have the class III hitch.
Fitting 2 car seats is real easy. Taking 7 passengers is great. Doesnt happen often but Im glad I can when I need to.

Do I need those things? no
Do I need the 4.6 L? no
Do I need the 4x4 here in FL? no
Do I need a full frame truck? no

Do I WANT these features - Hell ya!

its like any car guy with a garage.. there are tools we have that we never use.. but you think.. someday I might need that! Someday I might need to pull something heavy, some day i might move north and want a plow on it, some day I might have another kid and the need all the space I can get.

If the 3rd gens were unibody... Id have two 2nd gens right now instead of one of each.

So even though the industry or govt thinks we need to scale back, get more efficient, make unibody vehicles etc or whatever... its personally not what I want

I don't think ANYBODY can state that they use their X off road more than on, but the importance lies in being able to do so. SUVs aren't as gas efficient, but I would argue that this does not, in of itself, equate to being less environmentally friendly or that it necessarily constitutes a "higher polluter." Emissions on my old 92, that had nearly 190K on her, was much lower than my wife's old Corolla. Which one got better gas mileage? Of course the corolla, but it also polluted quite a bit more. Do SUVs pollute more or do they simply consume more? That is a big difference.
I agree that most SUVs are not off-road worthy and that may be actually what the market asks for. On the same token, I think many of these carmakers are also alienating a loyal clientele by attempting to please those that already do not like SUVs. By making them lighter, frameless, and woosified, they are attempting to please the SUV naysayers while also irritating and alienating the very group that has and will always support framed off-roaders.
I will be very interested to see the 2011 X. My hopes aren't too high though based on the initial stats.

By making them lighter, frameless, and woosified, they are attempting to please the SUV naysayers while also irritating and alienating the very group that has and will always support framed off-roaders.

Well said :thumbsup:

I'll bet you could ask all of the new Ex owners, and less than 10% could tell you if it was a body on frame vehicle or not.

Honestly- the off-road market isn't that huge with new vehicles, Especially Explorers, and I doubt that too many people that bought them new were considering the modifications that they could make to make it off road capable. On top of that- Ford wasn't thinking of that either- they wanted it to travel off road, but the setup they used was for simplicity, cost, and because they knew it would work.

If you built a new body on frame truck, without the ride of a new Explorer, sales would not be what you'd expect- everyone is used to a boulevard ride now, and few people are going to take a brand new $35,000 SUV into the brush and chance flipping it over anyway.

I'm a bit more utilitarian myself and I'd like to see:
  • vehicles w/o integrated bumpers (that dont blend in with the shape of the rest of the body)
  • stop putting fog lights on vehicles, they are useless (especially in fogs) and are expensive to repair/replace.
  • it seems to be a trend in trucks to have a big grille (like the 2011 super duty, thread here). Its overwhelming, pushes the hood up (which limits visibility) and makes the front look stupid.
  • solid rear axle? hello where did you go?
  • if its a truck and it has plenty of room (length wise), why not make it easy to service? maybe a divorced transmission and a divorced transfer case so its easier to drop and replace? This would also even out the drive train weight between the two axles.

Thats wierd, all thos things you don't like... I do!

I like the bumpers, fog lights, grills, IRS, and mated trans/case....

I guess I am the oddball...

Here is what I want in a car:

Ground clearance because I hit every curb in sight and because i like to sit higher up
4x4/AWD because with all the snow weve gotten here its been nice
7 seats, I often go out with 5 other friends and its nice to all go in one car (and have everyone give you gas money where you end up getting enough for a half a tank when in reality you use 2 gallons)
Space, trips to lowes, home depot, even costco are so much easier with SUV.

What I want is what most people want and if they can do that all while getting better MPGs whats the difference? If the 2011 explorer is as good as I hope it is I fully intend on leasing one spring 2011.

What I have heard, the 2011 is going to be built on the Sable chassis at a plant in Chicago, and they are tossing the truck chassis. Basically the Ford Flex with the explorer style and explorer label. I imagine it lightens it up alot. The only option it will have is heavier towing packages with very little ground clearance, not much more than a sedan.

Leaves me with few options since I want the capability of a truck with some light offroad performance, towing, combined with the passenger seating and storage in the back that is part of the cabin. Needless to say, I will be bailing out of the Explorer line and look at the FJ Cruiser, or the 4 door Wrangler. Expeditions would not be bad but the price tag about bankrupts you.

phpThumb.php

that seems like plenty of ground clearance for what they are trying to sell it for. Something to compete with the traverse/acadia. maybe a little more then them.

maybe for a glorified grocery getter it is fine. Maybe my wife will like it. If those rims are around 20 inches, it looks to be under 1ft of ground clearance to me. Though it is hard to tell at that angle.

I need something with more truck durability which is why I love my 2000 XLT Explorer. Rock solid performance for 167K miles. Going fishing and camping with the kids in back country requires something with a truck frame that can take the abuse (though nothing real crazy), but something with passenger seating for the kids and the storage for supplies and the dog. As a hobby, I reclaim old barn beams, so I need the towing power. Basically the 2000 gave me the performance of a light truck with the functionality for hauling the family around.

I burried it into a 3 foot snow drift here in ohio last week and it pulled itself right out after 5 minutes of cautious rocking.

It just seems to me that Ford has plenty of platforms with All-wheel drive that can work for a large family, why screw with the Explorer?

Sorry, I will stop whining, nothing ever stays the same. It is too bad Ford can not come out with a line simular to the Jeep Wrangler. Lower production levels to keep the enviromentalists off their back, but something for people who want a tough SUV.

I am a little stuck on your comment about less than 1ft of ground clearance. do you mean clearance from the ground to the rocker panel? If you mean ground clearance as measured from lowest point (usually differential) you'll be lucky if it has 6".

I am more disappointed with unibody/front drive platform. Maybe some day they'll go back to a body on frame, nissan did it with the pathfinder in 05, explorer should have kept body on frame and rear drive platform.
times change, ford is trying to keep up with the times. It took me a while to adapt to the 02+ but think how widely accepted they are now. in a few years we'll think the same of the new platform.

I am just looking at the side body panels and guessing, I am not considering anything underneath since they are not out yet and you can't see alot from that picture. You are probably right, if they are anything like the GMs Acadia, a cat will have a hard time crawling underneath without crouching down.

I just wish Ford would come out with a SUV like the FJ Cruiser with limited production. Something without all the beeps and whistles, creature comforts, etc... but solid and fun to drive that can be on and off road, around low to mid-20s price point......I know,.... wishful thinking. Decent vehicles (NEW) just flat cost too much anymore. I can just imagine that this thing will probably have a starting point of 30K with decent options coming in around 35K.

I think you're looking at starting at $30k and moving towards $42 all optioned. Hell- a Flex will top out at $39k right now.

I doubt Ford will do many niche cars. With how they're selling cars right now and gaining market share, they're not going to upset the apple cart.
Especially with a rigid SUV. SUV's are only accounting for 8% of Ford Sales now. CUV's are nearly 20%.

I do agree about the simple car though- that's why I like my '95. Less crap to go wrong, and no tire pressure monitoring system that the government can track your travels with... :D

I liked my 3rd gen, but it didnt fit the bill i needed 100% so it left for the fofo and a pair of first gen projects.

my best freind has an 07 that i get alot of wheel time in. she loves the thing. it was preceded by a 3rd gen mounty, and before that was a 3rd gen sport.

the sport is still her favorite. despite the newest one in theiir stable geting better gas milaga and riding better that still was a better vehicle to her
i also should note that she disliked the mounty for its AWD

yea, how much of the buying public is ging to be locking and throwing 35s on a new explorer, a verry small percentage, and were not what they design these things for. im not arguing that point, but it seems folish to me to just turn it into yet another unibody cross over. anyone i know who has one has one because its a truck, yea, its cushied over now adays, but its still body and frame and that gives it a certain ruggedness your not gonna get otherwise.

i kinda think fords droping the ball on this one

I think you're looking at starting at $30k and moving towards $42 all optioned. Hell- a Flex will top out at $39k right now.

I doubt Ford will do many niche cars. With how they're selling cars right now and gaining market share, they're not going to upset the apple cart.
Especially with a rigid SUV. SUV's are only accounting for 8% of Ford Sales now. CUV's are nearly 20%.

I do agree about the simple car though- that's why I like my '95. Less crap to go wrong, and no tire pressure monitoring system that the government can track your travels with... :D

An AWD limited flex with ecoboost tops out at $51K, I could never imagine paying that for a flex nevermin an explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will wait and see what the real deal is, I really believe Ford knows what they are doing, I guess time will tell, I too like the "truck" durability, but Ford has adapted with the times and did not need a bailout and is doing well, I have faith, even if it does not fit "MY" standards, I still have my SD Dually for the real work and the 2011 SD will destroy all competion so they will stiull be around later!!

Back