2011 f150

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I will say I'm impressed with the new powertrains. The 3.7 V6, 5.0L V8, and 6.2L V8. The one thing I am not impressed with is the horsepower from the 5.0L V8. 360 horsepower :(, yeah its a lot of power, but I was hoping for the 412 from the mustang's 5.0L!

Say your thoughts on the 2011 F150.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will say I'm impressed with the new powertrains. The 3.7 V6, 5.0L V8, and 6.2L V8. The one thing I am not impressed with is the horsepower from the 5.0L V8. 360 horsepower :(, yeah its a lot of power, but I was hoping for the 412 from the mustang's 5.0L!

Say your thoughts on the 2011 F150.

doesn't surprise me the hp on the 5.0 is lower i'm sure they had to make changes to lower the power band to make the motor useful in a truck. A truck making it's power at 6k rpm would be pretty stupid. I didn't think the 6.2 would be available in the regular f-150 I heard it was only going to be offered in the raptor.

Yeah. Exactly what techie said. You just can't throw the Mustang motor into a pickup truck and expect it to be optimal. :eek:

Are you thinking about buying one? Or...?

I think the 6.2 had to be offered to compete with chevrolet's silverado with the 6.2L. Not everyone, including me, can afford to shell out $40k+ for a ford F150 raptor just to get the 6.2L V8

section525...
Not at the moment. I just bought an 05 explorer so thats my new car for a while. Maybe in a few years I will buy the F150 with the 3.7L V6 engine. I was just seeing what everyone else thought of this truck's new powertrain.

The biggest news here is the new 5.0 in a different application.
That puts more used motors in junkyards for guys like me to play with lol.

I have a Vortechd 99GT thats paid for, if this job market was better id be moving it and finding a coupe to drop the new 5.0 in...

lol :D true here. If I could get my hands on a new lower mileage 5.0 motor and transmission The 4.0L SOHC is out and the 5.0L is in :D

It has same bellhousing and mounting locations as a 4.6 and is not as wide either...

Ford will sell the harness and computer soon, the challenge will be exhaust manifolds..

Actually just found out Stangnet.com has me beat. They got the first crate motor and are putting it in an 88 coupe... maybe it wont be such a hard/expensive swap once i can afford to do it lol

It has same bellhousing and mounting locations as a 4.6 and is not as wide either...

Ford will sell the harness and computer soon, the challenge will be exhaust manifolds..

Actually just found out Stangnet.com has me beat. They got the first crate motor and are putting it in an 88 coupe... maybe it wont be such a hard/expensive swap once i can afford to do it lol
How is it not as wide? It's a four valve motor.

Not sure on that...It is still a Ford Modular Engine

Numbers: (source: wikipedia lol :D)
Mustang
412 hp (307 kW) @ 6500 rpm, 390 lb·ft (529 N·m) @ 4250 rpm
F150
360 hp (268 kW) @ 5500 rpm, 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) @ 4250 rpm

True, good point. :thumbsup: The numbers just represent the quoted max horsepower.

How is it not as wide? It's a four valve motor.

I dont have numbers to back it up but i remember reading the heads were more compact which meant it wasnt quite as wide up top. The valves and cams were moved closer together.

I cant post pics from my phone but if you look at the motor without the engine cover you can notice the cams covers are smaller than previous modulars.

I'll take your word for it, but mine very much fills up the engine compartment.

Back